Related stories and components
Cambodia: Phnom Penh Municipal Court sentences a former govt. official to 15 years imprisonment for trafficking workers to Saudi Arabia
Author: Chakrya Sophak Khouth, The Phnom Penh Post
"Former gov’t official gets 15 years for trafficking", 13 August 2019...
UK: Global Witness calls on govt. to act on pledge to support defenders in face of violence related to mining, oil & gas projects
Author: Ben Leather, Global Witness
"The UK has pledged to support human rights defenders – but will it follow through?", 07 Aug 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders
Verisk Maplecroft's Human Rights Outlook 2019 says risks spread for businesses & civil society as more countries embrace authoritarian tactics
Author: Verisk Maplecroft
"‘Strongmen’ regimes lead charge against freedom of speech and privacy: Human Rights Outlook 2019", 07 Aug 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on freedom of association Latest news on human rights defenders Latest news on modern slavery & forced labour Latest news on natural resources Technology and Human Rights Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: AngloGold Ashanti BHP Billiton Yamana Gold
India: Govt. records 77,155 labour abuse allegations by migrant workers in the Gulf between 2016-2019
The Indian government has released figures detailing the numbers of allegations of labour abuse it has received from migrant workers to the Gulf countries in the four years between 2016 and 2019. 77,155 complaints were made to embassies and consulates...
Novalpina Capital promises enhanced respect for human rights at NSO Group following allegations that its technology was used to spy on defenders
Author: Stephanie Kirchgaessner & Jon Swaine, The Guardian
"WhatsApp spyware: UK firm promises new 'respect for human rights' following allegations", 18 Jun 2019...
- Related stories: Novalpina Capital buys spyware co. NSO Group & commits to helping it become more transparent
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: Facebook Novalpina Capital NSO Group Whatsapp (part of Facebook)
African trade unions urge government action on fair recruitment as cases of migrant labour exploitation in the Gulf increase
A study from the organisation of the International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC–Africa), the umbrella body of all Trade Unions in Africa, found workers had experienced a range of abuses including unscrupulous recruitment agencies and fees, a lack of...
Author: Jack Ball, Construction Week Online
"Midday work break 2019 to begin in Saudi Arabia on 15 June," 10 Jun 2019...
Author: Minky Worden (HRW), Washington Post
- Related stories: Expanding 2022 World Cup to other Gulf countries carries human & labour rights risks, warn rights groups
- Related companies: adidas Coca-Cola Visa Group
Author: Nick Hopkins & Dan Sabbagh, The Guardian (UK)
"WhatsApp spyware attack was attempt to hack human rights data, says lawyer", 14 May 2019...
Virgin CEO & 20 other executives sign onto initiative in support of LBGT+ rights; urge other businesses to follow suit
Author: Hugo Greenhalgh, Thomson Reuters Foundation
"Billionaire Branson urges business to back LGBT+ rights", 2 May 2019...