Related stories and components
NGO says east African countries losing millions of dollars to multinational corporations due to unfavourable bilateral investment treaties
Author: Julius Barigaba, The East African (Kenya)
"Civil society seeks reforms to stem trade suits losses"...
- Related in-depth areas: Investment, trade, globalisation
UN Human Rights Office documents growing reprisals against civil society for cooperating with United Nations
Author: Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
"Human rights: Reported reprisals on the rise, says UN", 19 Sep 2019...
Author: James Onyanzwa, EastAfrican (Kenya)
"East Africa’s green economy shift off to shaky start"...
- Related in-depth areas: Climate change
UN Special Rapporteur on human rights defenders' global survey highlights role of cos. in attacks in several countries
Author: Michel Forst, UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders (Switzerland)
"World report on the situation of human rights defenders", 17 Dec 2017...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders Latest news on Pacific Business & Human Rights Latest news: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: Compañia de Minas Buenaventura Formosa Plastics Jiew Kang Jue Pattana Co. Ltd. Minera Yanacocha (joint venture Newmont, Sumitomo & Compañía de Minas Buenaventura) Newmont Goldcorp Sumitomo Group
Global Network Initiative report details human rights impacts of internet shutdowns & recommends involving businesses in advocacy against disruptions
Author: Jan Rydzak, Global Network Initiative
Since 2011, network disruptions and large-scale network shutdowns have become a widespread tool of information control. Governments in at least four continents (Africa, Asia, Europe, and South America) have shut down connectivity or social media... ...
Front Line Defenders report highlights killings of 312 human rights defenders in 2017, underlining the role of business
Author: Front Line Defenders (Ireland)
"Annual Report on Human Rights Defenders at Risk 2017", 3 Jan 2018...
E. Africa: Human Rights Impact Assessment highlights importance of country-specific due diligence to protect human rights of coffee sector workers
Author: Institute for Human Rights & Business
"Human Rights Impact Assessment: A report about the East African coffee sector in: Kenya, Uganda, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Ethiopia and Burundi"...
- Related in-depth areas: Supply chain UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights
- Related companies: Coop Danmark