Myanmar: Coalition of UK unions and CSOs call on western brands to condemn the attempted coup & support workers
“Joint Statement: Western brands must condemn the military coup and support workers in Myanmar”, 23 February 2021
We the undersigned join the growing number of voices in Myanmar and around the world that are calling for the military to release those detained and reinstate the democratic process.
We stand in solidarity with the striking workers and the calls for a general strike.
We urge all brands operating in Myanmar to:
- Publicly join the international condemnation of the military coup in Myanmar and support the protests for democracy.
- Exercise due diligence for any trade in Myanmar ensuring no … ties … with the military.
- When working with businesses and suppliers not tied to the military in Myanmar, ensure that these businesses do not contribute to or aggravate human rights violations.
- Ensure the job security and wage payments of striking or protesting workers, and make sure no worker or union leader is punished for going on strike or joining the demonstrations against the coup.
- Protect workers in areas where the security situation, or a heavy police or military presence makes them feel unsafe going into work, ensuring they are not forced into work, and are not penalized or face loss of wages.