Major sporting events
Human rights organizations and other NGOs, media, unions have reported human rights abuses caused by the impacts of massive infrastructure projects carried out in preparation for major sporting events, such as the FIFA World Cup and the Olympic Games. Many of these allegations involve abuses committed by or with the complicity of private companies. But major sporting events do provide also opportunities to push for change. This page features some of the main developments and coverage on human rights related to major recent or future sporting events in countries such as Azerbaijan, Brazil, Qatar, Russia and Japan, highlighting the role and responsibilities of companies operating there.
Browse by events
Minsk 2019 European Games
Gold Coast Commonwealth Games 2018
Formula One 2017 (USA, Mexico, Brazil, UAE)
Formula One 2018 (Australia, China, Bahrain, Azerbaijan)
Überblick der wichtigsten Themen
Die folgenden Schwerpunktthemen sind in anderen Sprachen verfügbar:
- 📄 Latest news on major sporting events [English]
- 📄 Brazil 2016 Rio Olympic Games and 2014 World Cup [English]
- 📄 Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup [English]
- 📄 Pyeongchang 2018 Olympics and Paralympic Winter Games [English]
- 📄 Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games [English]
- 📄 Labour rights and the Qatar World Cup 2022 [English]
- 📄 Business, human rights, and the Baku 2015 European Games [English]
- 📄 Russia: Human rights abuses related to 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi [English]
Stories and Komponenten mit diesem Schwerpunkt
Autor/in: Joseph Varghese, Gulf Times
"Three more stadiums to be launched this year," 10 Feb 2020 About $30mn will be reimbursed by the contractors this year to those workers who had paid recruitment fee in their home countries... “By 2020, about 83% of our workforce will have their recru...
- Mit Bezug auf: Qatar: Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy launches Workers' Welfare Standards, initiates internal and external monitoring for 2022 World Cup contracts
- Schwerpunkte: Latest news & company responses: Migrant workers in Qatar & the UAE Latest news on major sporting events Major sporting events
Autor/in: Omondi Onyatta, The Star (Kenya)
"Kenyans being duped to build stadiums in Qatar - Muhuri," 9 Feb 2020...
Autor/in: Dutch News
"Human rights groups call on Ajax shareholders to question trip to Qatar," 30 Oct 2019...
- Schwerpunkte: Labour rights and the Qatar World Cup 2022 Latest news & company responses: Migrant workers in Qatar & the UAE Major sporting events
- Betreffende Unternehmen: Ajax FC
Autor/in: The Washington Post (US)
“Rights group asks for worker-safety probe at Tokyo Olympics”, 5 June 2019...