Killings - West Papua - October 2011
In October 2011 a number of killings were reported in West Papua. Some of these killings occurred at the Freeport-McMoRan mine (see AFP article below). Most of the killings were discovered after Indonesian Government security forces allegedly fired shots at West Papua independence protesters, in another part of West Papua. Some of these independence protesters were criticising Freeport-McMoRan’s mine.
- “‘Seven dead’ after Indonesian troops storm Papuan independence rally”, Survival International, 21 October 2011
- “6 Dead After Papua Rally”, Jakarta Globe, 21 Oct 2011
- "Gunmen kill three at Freeport's Indonesia mine", Tjahjo Eranius, AFP, 21 Oct 2011
- “Two deaths, other casualties in crackdown on Papuan People’s Congress, claim groups”, Pacific.Scoop (New Zealand), 20 Oct 2011
- “Rights Group Says 300 Arrested at Papua Rally”, Kate Lamb, Voice of America, 20 Oct 2011
Freeport-McMoRan sent us a response on 26 October 2011