In June 2014 at its 26th session, the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva adopted a resolution drafted by Ecuador and South Africa. An open-ended intergovernmental working group with the mandate to elaborate an international legally binding instrument on Transnational Corporations and Other Business Enterprises with respect to human rights, chaired by Ecuador, was subsequently established. The first session of the open-ended intergovernmental working group (IGWG) took place from 6 to 10 July 2015 in Geneva. A second session was held in October 2016, and a third session in October 2017. Elements for the draft legally binding instrument were issued by the Chair in September 2017, and a Zero Draft (followed by its draft Optional Protocol) was presented in July 2018 (a summary of the Zero Draft is available here). A fourth IGWG session on the Zero Draft was held in Geneva in October 2018. In July 2019, the Revised Draft was published (a summary is available here, as well as a non-official Spanish translation), and stakeholders gave inputs on the content at the fifth session of the IGWG in October 2019 (see our coverage here).
The 6th session of the Intergovernmental Working Group will be held from 26 to 30 October 2020.
Überblick der wichtigsten Themen
Die folgenden Schwerpunktthemen sind in anderen Sprachen verfügbar:
- 📄 Latest news on proposed binding treaty [English]
- 📄 Intergovernmental working group sessions [English]
- 📄 Statements, initiatives & commentaries [English]
- 📄 UN Human Rights Council sessions [English]
- 📄 Events by Business & Human Rights Resource Centre, Univ. of Notre Dame, British Institute of Intl. and Comparative Law & Univ. of Essex [English]
- 📄 Side event at UN Human Rights Council, Mar 2014 [English]