Public Eye Awards 2014
The annual "Public Eye Awards", cordinated by Greenpeace Switzerland & Berne Declaration, are for companies with the “worst corporate social responsibility records”.
This year, the nominations include the following allegations against companies:
- BASF, Bayer, Syngenta: toxic pesticides killing bees essential for environment, agriculture & global food production
- Eskom: impacts on health & environments through coal-fired power stations in South Africa
- FIFA: forced evictions & impacts on local communities through construction work for World Cup in Brazil
- Gap: lack of effective commitment to protecting workers' health & safety in Bangladesh
- Gazprom: damage to the environment through oil spills
- Glencore Xstrata: negative effects on social, cultural & political rights of local communities & indigenous groups, including forced displacement
- HSBC: financing companies including Sime Darby & Wilmar associated with land grabs & human rights abuses
- Marine Harvest: impacts on indigenous peoples' livelihoods & damage to environment in Chile
Business & Human Rights Resource Centre invited the companies to respond to the allegations. Companies' responses & non-responses are available below:
- BASF response [PDF]
- Bayer response [DOC]
- Eskom did not respond
- FIFA response [DOC]
- Gap response [DOC]
- Gazprom did not respond
- Glencore Xstrata response [PDF]
- HSBC response [DOC]
- Marine Harvest response [PDF] & additional comment [DOC]
- Sime Darby response [DOC]
- Syngenta response [PDF]
- Wilmar International did not respond, but referred us to a press release announcing its "No Deforestation, No Peat, No Exploitation Policy" aiming to protect communities and forests.
Stories and Komponenten mit diesem Schwerpunkt
Resposta disponível apenas em inglês. Para ler, veja abaixo.
- Mit Bezug auf: Brasil: Sociedade civil acusa FIFA de abusos de Direitos humanos no Brasil relacionados aos preparativos para a Copa do Mundo da FIFA de 2014
- Schwerpunkte: Public Eye Awards 2014
- Das ist eine Antwort der folgenden Unternehmen: FIFA
Autor/in: Compiled by Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
[Business & Human Rights Resource Centre invited the nominated companies to respond. Responses & non-responses provided]. The annual "Public Eye Awards", cordinated by Greenpeace Switzerland & Berne Declaration, are for companies with the ...