Related stories and components
Australia: Leaked video reveals alleged excessive force by guards in detention centres; operator Serco says recordings are unverified
Author: Helen Davidson, The Guardian
"Secret recordings allege excessive force by guards in Australia's detention centres", 24 March 2019...
- Related companies: Serco
Papua New Guinea: Manus Island Paladin staff walk off the job due to underpayment leaving refugee detention facility unmanned
Author: Benjamin Robinson-Drawbridge, Radio New Zealand
"Manus Island Paladin staff walk off the job", 27 February 2019...
- Related companies: Paladin Group
Australia: Questions abound over little-known security firm, Paladin's, bid for Manus Island detention centre contract
Author: Richard Baker, The Sydney Morning Herald
"Small security firm given less than a week to bid for huge Manus Island contract", 17 February 2019 The Home Affairs department gave little-known security contractor Paladin Group just six days to submit a bid for the initial $90 million contract to ...
USA: Investors file resolutions with companies at risk for human rights violations due to govt. contracts related to immigration
In December 2018, investor members of the Interfaith Center on Corporate Responsibility launched a corporate campaign focused on a group of six companies across the private prison, e-commerce, banking and defense sectors, deemed at risk for human...
USA: 2018 report on state of human rights details violations of labour rights, access to water & free, prior & informed consent
Author: US Human Rights Network
In the United States this year...we have seen undeniable, egregious, and unapologetic violations of human rights... Illegal and immoral attempts to encroach on American Indian lands, territories, and the resources of Indigenous Peoples have always been...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on natural resources Natural Resources Technology and Human Rights
- Related companies: Alphabet Amazon.com Apple Bayer Ben & Jerry's (part of Unilever) Facebook Google (part of Alphabet) McDonald's Microsoft Monsanto (part of Bayer) Taco Bell (part of YUM!) Unilever Walmart Whole Foods Market YUM!
USA: CoreCivic & Geo Group face lawsuit over using detainee labour at New Mexico immigration detention facility
Author: Amanda Holpuch, The Guardian
"Private prison companies served with lawsuits over using detainee labor", 25 Nov 2018...
- Related stories: USA: GEO Group faces lawsuit over alleged use of forced labour at immigrant detention facility USA: Private prison co. CoreCivic to face lawsuits alleging use of forced labour of immigrants at detention centre
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: CoreCivic GEO Group
USA: California State Teachers’ Retirement System divests from for-profit prison companies GEO Group & Core Civic
In November 2018, the Teachers’ Retirement Board of the California State Teachers’ Retirement System voted to divest from CoreCivic and GEO Group, two U.S. publicly-held companies that operate private prisons. CoreCivic and GEO Group had been accused...
Corporate Legal Accountability Quarterly Bulletin: Parent company liability for extraterritorial abuse
UK: Birmingham prison taken over from G4S by Govt. following reports of "appalling" squalor & violence; co. welcomes move
On 20 August 2018, the UK Government announced it would be taking over Birmingham Prison from the private firm G4S, after an inspection uncovered “appalling” conditions, squalor and violence. The Ministry of Justice has assumed control of the...
CoreCivic response re allegation that it is profiting from the detention of immigrant and asylum-seeking families and separation of families
There is a considerable amount of misinformation around these issues. See the attached fact sheet that addresses our company's limited role in immigration, for your organization's benefit and that of your readers.
- Related stories: USA: Govt. contractors accused of profiting from separation & detention of migrant & asylum seeking families
- This is a response from the following companies: CoreCivic