Related stories and components
Author: April Glaser, Slate
"Instacart Workers Are Striking Because of the App’s User Interface", 5 November 2019...
- Related stories: USA: Instacart workers strike over changes to tipping policy; Includes company comments
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and Human Rights: Gig Economy
- Related companies: Instacart
Switzerland: Uber faces ban after Geneva government orders reclassification of 'independent contractors' as 'employers'
"Uber faces ban in Geneva if it fails to hire drivers", 1 November 2019...
Author: Shubhra Pant, The Times of India
"Gurugram: Workers protest as Honda sends nearly 300 on ‘indefinite leave'", 6 November 2019...
- Related stories: India: Contractual workers strike at Honda plant after workers sent on 'indefinite leave'
- Related companies: Honda
India: Traders' body accuses Amazon & Flipkart of violating foreign direct investment policies, through 'predatory pricing' and 'deep discounting'
Author: The Economic Times
"CAIT alleges violation of FDI policy by Flipkart, Amazon; companies reject", 11 October 2019...
Author: Nidheesh M.K., Live Mint
"Now, Kerala aims for internet in every household", 7 November 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Internet
India: Facebook allegedly being used as 'megaphone of hate', after report shows widespread sharing of hate speech directed at Bengali Muslims
Author: Pranav Dixit, BuzzFeed
"Facebook Failed The Rohingya In Myanmar. Now It May Be Repeating Its Mistakes In Assam.", 28 October 2019...
Author: Owen Pinnell & Jess Kelly, BBC
"Slave markets found on Instagram and other apps," 31 Oct 2019...
UK: Google's contracted cleaners threaten strikes over alleged labour violations & dismissal of union members
In October 2019, members of Google's contracted cleaning team in London went on strike over labour rights concerns and the dismissal of two union representatives. The cleaners, contracted by cleaning firm Principle Cleaning Services, say Principle has...
While our suppliers determine wages and benefits for their employees, we want working at Google to be a positive experience. We choose our partners and staffing agencies carefully, and review their compliance with our Supplier Code of Conduct. In a...
- Related stories: UK: Google's contracted cleaners threaten strikes over alleged labour violations & dismissal of union members; Includes company responses
- This is a response from the following companies: Google (part of Alphabet)
Author: Annabel Short, Institute for Human Rights and Business
“Dignity by Design – Human Rights and the Built Environment Lifecycle”, 1 July 2019...
- Related stories: Draft Principles for Dignity in the Built Environment launched
- Related in-depth areas: Construction & building materials Housing Linking development & human rights - an introduction