Related stories and components
Author: The Guardian
"New guidelines force pension funds to reveal shareholder voting records"...
While our suppliers determine wages and benefits for their employees, we want working at Google to be a positive experience. We choose our partners and staffing agencies carefully, and review their compliance with our Supplier Code of Conduct. In a...
- Related stories: UK: Google's contracted cleaners threaten strikes over alleged labour violations & dismissal of union members; Includes company responses
- This is a response from the following companies: Google (part of Alphabet)
Author: Principle Cleaning Services Ltd
We are following our internal investigation and disciplinary procedures in relation to two employees. As you will appreciate, in the interests of fairness and best practice, these are confidential processes, and it would be inappropriate for us to...
- Related stories: UK: Google's cleaners threaten strikes over alleged labour violations & dismissal of union members; Includes company comments & contract cleaning firm response
- This is a response from the following companies: Principle Cleaning Services
Liberal Democrat party unveils plans for legal 'duty of care' on social and environmental issues for UK firms
Author: Fiona Harvey, The Guardian
Businesses would be given a legal “duty of care” on environmental and social issues that could be used to prevent them selling goods from deforested areas and to force companies to investigate their overseas supply chains, under plans set out by the...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on mandatory human rights due diligence
UK: Council passes motion condemning shift changes for JD Sports warehouse workers, described as ‘a prison sentence’
Author: Nick Statham, Manchester Evening News
"'It's more like a prison sentence'... JD Sports urged to rethink Rochdale warehouse shifts after hundreds of complaints", 18 October 2019...
UK: Labour demands Prime Minister terminate government contracts with Amazon following findings on warehouse health & safety
Author: Matthew Young, The Mirror
"PM urged to act over ‘modern slavery’ in Amazon warehouses uncovered by Mirror", 22 October 2019...
Author: Investing in a Just Transition initiative (London School of Economics, Harvard Kennedy School) with Univ. of Leeds
"Financing inclusive climate action in the UK: An investor roadmap for the just transition", 1 October 2019...
UK: Matalan warehouse workers strike following ongoing wage disputes & owed back pay; Includes company comments
In August 2019, GMB Union members at a Matalan distribution centre in Liverpool began a strike following an ongoing row over pay. Workers voted to walk out after management made an offer which would see around 25% of employees who work on weekends rec...
UK: Striking Matalan warehouse workers share personal concerns as strike over low pay at Matalan warehouse reaches sixth week
Author: Emilia Bona, Liverpool Echo
"Survival at the picket line: Matalan staff on strike for six weeks are at breaking point", 20 October 2019...
- Related stories: UK: Matalan warehouse workers strike following ongoing wage disputes & owed back pay; Includes company comments
- Related companies: Matalan
Lawyers & activists challenge UK importation of Uzbekistan cotton with judicial review, following reports of continued forced labour
Author: Annie Kelly, The Guardian
"Lawyers challenge UK import of 'slavery-tainted' Uzbek cotton", 21 October 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on modern slavery & forced labour