Related stories and components
Lawyers & activists challenge UK importation of Uzbekistan cotton with judicial review, following reports of continued forced labour
Author: Annie Kelly, The Guardian
"Lawyers challenge UK import of 'slavery-tainted' Uzbek cotton", 21 October 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on modern slavery & forced labour
UK: Workers report neglect of staff wellbeing at Amazon warehouse, including pressure on pregnant women to meet targets & staff falling asleep in toilet cubicles
Author: Matthew Young, The Mirror
"Amazon warehouse staff 'treated like slaves with 10-hour shifts and short breaks' ", 20 October 2019...
Facebook's plan to add end-to-end encryption to its messaging services receives mixed responses from govts. & civil society
Facebook announced that it would add end-to-end encryption to all of its messaging services in an effort to better protect the privacy of its users. The announcement was supported by many human rights NGOs, noting the need to protect the right to...
Author: Alessandra Corrêa, BBC News Brasil (Brazil)
“Estudo diz que 20 empresas respondem por um terço de toda a emissão de CO2 no mundo; Petrobras está na lista”, 10 de outubro de 2019...
- Related companies: Abu Dhabi National Oil Co BHP Billiton BP Chevron Coal India (CIL) ConocoPhillips ExxonMobil Gazprom Iraq National Oil Company Kuwait Petroleum Corporation National Iranian Oil Co PDVSA (Petróleos de Venezuela) Peabody Energy Pemex Petrobras PetroChina (part of China National Petroleum Corporation) Royal Dutch / Shell (see Shell) Sonatrach Total
UK: New Look explains why it is working with supplier it blacklisted in 2017 following exposé revealing unauthorised subcontracting & workers paid below minimum wage
Author: Tom Pegden, Leicester Mercury
"Why New Look is using Leicester supplier it dropped in 2017 following undercover Channel 4 exposé", 13 October 2019...
- Related companies: New Look
UK supermarkets admit they cannot guarantee their supply chains are free of soya linked to deforestation despite commitments made
Author: Anna Sophie Gross, Uki Goñi and Bibi van der Zee, The Guardian
"Tesco and M&S likely to have soya linked to deforestation in supply chains", 5 Oct 2019...
Author: Haydn Taylor, gamesindustry.biz
"Ustwo Games accused of union busting", 3 October 2019...
- Related companies: Ustwo Games
Author: Centro de Información sobre Empresas y Derechos Humanos
Bienvenidos(as) a nuestras Actualizaciones Trimestrales de Responsabilidad Legal Empresarial (anteriormente el Boletín trimestral). Estas Actualizaciones destacan un tema específico cada trimestre, así como los principales avances en el tema de...
- Related stories: Corporate Legal Accountability Quarterly Update: The Lengthy Journey towards a Treaty on Business & Human Rights
- Related in-depth areas: Actualizaciones Trimestrales de Responsabilidad Legal Empresarial
- Related companies: CACI CXI Globe Metals & Mining Hudbay Minerals Inversiones Cobra Pan American Silver Samsung Shell Socapalm Socfin Tahoe Resources (part of Pan American Silver) Unilever
UK: Amazon condemned by driver for signing £50 million deal with TV star as he awaits unpaid wages, following successful court case
Author: Gordon Blackstock, Daily Record
"Amazon driver forced to fight for unpaid wages as firm hands Fleabag star £50million", 30 September 2019...