2 positions at Social Accountability International
Chief Executive Officer
Reporting to the SAI Board of Directors, the CEO provides inspirational leadership and ensures that SAI’s program, fiscal and resource development, human resources, and operational strategies are implemented effectively across all segments of the organization.
Strategic Vision and Leadership
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors and SAI’s multi-stakeholder Board of Advisors (this board advises the CEO on policy and program matters, with two 3-day meetings a year) to create and implement the SAI strategic plan while ensuring that the plan, budget, staff, and priorities are aligned with SAI’s mission.
- Provide inspirational leadership and direction to SAI staff and ensure the continued development and management of a professional and efficient organization.
- Establish effective decision-making processes that will enable SAI to achieve its long- and short-term goals.
- Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board of Directors and Board of Advisors; ensure open communication about the measurement of SAI’s objectives.
- Help build a highly competent, fully qualified, diverse and inclusive staff, and members of our boards representative of SAI’s stakeholders and the workers SAI serves.
Building Partnerships and Representing SAI Publicly
- Create and execute SAI’s partnership strategy; initiate, cultivate, and maintain strategic SAI partnerships.
- Represent SAI and its standards externally, to the business community, public, NGOs, certifying bodies, and governmental organizations.
- Provide high-level guidance on the creation and execution of SAI’s communications strategy and be closely involved in critical communication situations that arise.
- Serve on external boards, committees and panels as appropriate and consistent with SAI’s strategic plan.
- In pursuit of these and other objectives, travel within the US and globally 25% of the time on average.
Program Development and Implementation
- Assure that SAI’s programs effectively and efficiently advance its mission and are aligned with its strategic plan.
- Expand existing programs as appropriate; seek new program opportunities; eliminate programs as appropriate.
- Ensure that the flow of funds permits SAI to make continuous progress towards the achievement of its mission and that, consistent with SAI’s strategic plan, those funds are allocated to reflect present needs and future potential.
- Formulate and execute a comprehensive development strategy that will enhance revenue from donation funders, and fee-for-service clients.
- Lead the SAI Board of Directors and Board of Advisors to understand their development roles and responsibilities; inspire members of both boards to be highly engaged and willing to play their roles in securing resources.
- Actively raise funds to enable SAI’s fulfillment of its mission and growth to expand its reach and continue its tradition of innovation and leadership in its field.
- Lead and support the Chief Financial & Administrative Officer to develop and propose to the Board of Directors the annual budget; oversee the financial status of SAI including developing long- and short-range financial plans; set financial priorities to ensure SAI is operating in a manner that supports the needs of its programs and staff.
- Select, develop, and manage direct reports in a rigorous and professional manner.
- Assure that SAI maintains a culture that motivates, supports, and develops its people; work relentlessly to sustain high levels of employee engagement and satisfaction.
- Facilitate collaboration and strengthen internal communication throughout SAI, between and among its board and staff members, and with SAI’s external stakeholders.
SAI Board Responsibilities
- Convene SAI of Board of Directors and Board of Advisors.
- Prepare and distribute to the Boards materials respecting program, finance, and the external environment.
- Report to Boards on progress towards goals.
- Appoint staff to support Board committees.
- Participate in committees as appropriate.
- Assure smooth logistics for meetings, preparing and distributing materials for Board meetings.
- Demonstrated commitment to the advancement of human rights and to decent, safe and healthy workplace conditions.
- An appreciation of SAI’s multi-stakeholder approach and demonstrated experience bridging corporate, nonprofit, labor, and governmental sectors; excellent coalition building skills with an ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders; a persuasive negotiator able to achieve consensus amongst differing opinions.
- An ability to set clear priorities and effectively delegate. Financial skills & knowledge. Politically astute leadership with the ability to guide investment in people and systems; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Significant board development, revenue development, and fiscal management experience.
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills and the ability to be an influential spokesperson, relationship builder, and fundraiser. Fluency in English required; other languages are an advantage, especially Asian languages.
- Strong commitment to the professional development of staff; successful track record of recruiting and retaining a diverse team.
- At least 10 years of senior managerial experience, preferably in corporate social responsibility, labor relations, international development or other decent workplace human-rights-related field; both corporate and nonprofit experience preferred; management of a global or multisite organization preferred.
- Minimum of a BA; advance degree in a relevant discipline preferred (e.g. MBA, International Relations, Development Economics).
Job title: Chief Executive Officer
Reporting to: SAI Board of Directors
Location: New York
Director of Strategic Programs
Objective: Reporting to the COO, this position will design, develop, market and implement key SAI capacity building programs.
Capacity building programs at SAI include training, technical assistance, research, stakeholder engagement and other activities in support of SAI’s mission. In SAI’s strategic plan, these encompass a range of projects, online and classroom training, and research. This position will focus on development and growth opportunities prioritized by the SAI executive team in annual plans. Goals will be accomplished together with colleagues.
Program Management and Delivery
- Supervise and/or carry out selected projects and programs
- manage timelines and budgets
- deliver relevant services such as trainings, handbooks, guidance, etc.
- engage cross-functionally with relevant staff and with partner organizations
- manage client and funder relationships, including reporting
- develop and implement M&E for outputs and outcomes
- implement the design, printing and distribution of marketing materials
- Supervise, hire, and train relevant staff
- Expand programs through adaptations and innovations based on worker need and market demand, especially the priorities of SAI’s Signatory Members
- Identify and benchmark leading programs of other organizations, adapting learning for continual improvement of SAI programs
- Develop strategic alliances to support development of new programs
- Work with SAI client and program managers to design new programs
Development – Fundraising, Marketing and Sales
- Identify and develop prospects for corporate, government, foundation funding for the prioritized programs
- Build relationships with potential new funders and provide good stewardship of existing funders
- Prepare and submit proposals in support of the key capacity building programs
- Support and serve SAI’s staff and Joint Development Committee (SAI boards) in the development and implementation of an organization-wide development plan
- Develop and implement communications to support development plan
- Foster the spirit of development and fundraising throughout SAI; provide personal support of general purpose fundraising activities, including calls with key donors, as appropriate
Qualifications and Core Competencies
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field; master’s degree in relevant field (e.g. MBA, International Relations, Labor relations) strongly preferred
- Familiarity and experience with international workplace human rights, CSR & labor issues and organizations strongly preferred
- Minimum 8 years’ experience with a proven track record in project and program management roles, preferably on international projects and on both grant-funded and fee-for-service programs
- Strong technical knowledge of management systems for social compliance, supply chain, human resource management systems
- Experience with both a nonprofit or social enterprise and with a private sector employer a plus
- Experience with emerging markets a plus
- Passion for SAI’s mission from a strategic and operational perspective
- Entrepreneurial development and expansion of services, with proven track record in revenue generation
Skills and Capabilities
- Create systems and processes that lead to successful project management and enable projects to be scaled into programs
- Apply broad analytical skills, with ability to identify and communicate key concepts
- Mentor, develop and supervise staff and consultants, both in HQ and field
- Manage aggressive deadlines, maintaining meticulous attention to detail
- Build effective internal & external relationships, demonstrating exceptional communication & interpersonal skills across all dimensions (written, verbal)
- Work successfully with diverse constituencies, including governmental agencies, NGOs, corporations, think tanks, academia, labor unions, expert communities and media/journalists.
- Engage and influence both direct and indirect lines of authority as well as peers and executives
- Foster teamwork and collaboration across multiple functional areas with competing priorities
- Leverage technology to implement and enhance programs
- Adapt to changing organizational and industry needs
- Creative, willing to experiment, hands-on, take initiative, flexible, resourceful, team-oriented, able to balance analysis and action, results-oriented, entrepreneurial
- Committed to SAI’s mission
- Willing and able to travel as needed
Job title: Director of Strategic Programs
Reporting to: Chief Operating Officer
Location: New York