Headquarters in Zambia
Absa website: http://www.absa.co.za
South African banks fund mining projects in southern Africa that raise issues over social, environmental, human rights impacts, says new report
Southern Africa Resource Watch, in announcing its report, South African Banks Footprint in SADC Mining Projects, said:...
Author: Corinne Gretler & Simon Clark, Bloomberg
The FTSE 100 Index’s most exclusive club just got smaller. The departures of Anglo American...Chief Executive Officer Cynthia Carroll and Pearson...CEO Marjorie Scardino leave Burberry Group...’s Angela Ahrendts and Alison Cooper of Imperial Tobacco...
Author: Kristin Palitza, Inter Press Service (IPS)
African countries need more support from the private sector in order to meet the United Nations Millennium Development Goals by 2015, which include important development targets like poverty reduction, and improved health and education. Governments...
- Related companies: Absa
Author: Corporate Leaders Group on Climate Change, University of Cambridge Programme for Sustainability Leadership
- Related stories: "Copenhagen Communiqué": Statement on climate change signed by over 700 companies
- Related companies: ABN Amro Absa Acciona Accor adidas AEON Air France KLM Akzo Nobel Alcatel (now Alcatel-Lucent) Alcatel-Lucent (part of Nokia) Alcoa Allianz Alstom American Electric Power Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Arcor Arup Asia Pacific Resources ASN Bank (part of SNS Reaal) Aspen Skiing Company Atlantia Aviva AXA B&Q (part of Kingfisher) Balfour Beatty Bancaja Banco Galicia Santander Wood (formerly Amec Foster Wheeler)
Author: Global Witness
[F]ailures by banks and the governments that regulate them have caused untold damage to the economies of some of the poorest countries in the world. By doing business with dubious customers in corrupt, natural resource-rich states, banks are...
- Related stories: Global Witness urges banks not to do business with dictators & corrupt govts.
- Related in-depth areas: Finance NGO
- Related companies: Absa Agricultural Bank of China Banco BPI Banco Espírito Santo Bank of China Barclays BNP Paribas Calyon (part of Crédit Agricole) China Construction Bank China Development Bank China Exim Citibank (part of Citigroup) Commerzbank Crédit Agricole Crédit Lyonnais (part of Crédit Agricole) Credit Suisse Danske Bank Deutsche Bank Ecobank Fortis Groupe Banque Populaire HSBC ING JPMorgan Chase KBC Lloyds Natixis Rabobank Riggs Bank (now part of PNC Financial Services) Royal Bank of Scotland Santander Société Générale Standard Bank Standard Chartered UBS West LB
Eight Companies Honored by Global Business Coalition on HIV/AIDS, TB and Malaria (GBC) For Fight Against Global Epidemic
Author: Global Business Coalition on HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis & Malaria
Eight leading businesses will receive awards tonight recognizing their outstanding contributions in the fight against AIDS, TB and malaria at the 6th Annual GBC Awards for Business Excellence...The HIV/AIDS winners include Chevron (workplace); Coca...
- Related companies: Abbott Laboratories Absa Alcan (now Rio Tinto Alcan) AngloGold Ashanti AstraZeneca BHP Billiton British American Tobacco Central Azucarera Don Pedro Chevron Coca-Cola Dole Eli Lilly Eskom Gap General Motors HBO (part of Time Warner) IBM Marathon Oil MTV (part of Viacom) Novartis Standard Chartered Time Warner Viacom