Headquarters in Zambia
Absa website: http://www.absa.co.za
Author: Global Witness
[F]ailures by banks and the governments that regulate them have caused untold damage to the economies of some of the poorest countries in the world. By doing business with dubious customers in corrupt, natural resource-rich states, banks are...
- Related stories: Global Witness urges banks not to do business with dictators & corrupt govts.
- Related in-depth areas: Finance NGO
- Related companies: Absa Agricultural Bank of China Banco BPI Banco Espírito Santo Bank of China Barclays BNP Paribas Calyon (part of Crédit Agricole) China Construction Bank China Development Bank China Exim Citibank (part of Citigroup) Commerzbank Crédit Agricole Crédit Lyonnais (part of Crédit Agricole) Credit Suisse Danske Bank Deutsche Bank Ecobank Fortis Groupe Banque Populaire HSBC ING JPMorgan Chase KBC Lloyds Natixis Rabobank Riggs Bank (now part of PNC Financial Services) Royal Bank of Scotland Santander Société Générale Standard Bank Standard Chartered UBS West LB
Eight Companies Honored by Global Business Coalition on HIV/AIDS, TB and Malaria (GBC) For Fight Against Global Epidemic
Author: Global Business Coalition on HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis & Malaria
Eight leading businesses will receive awards tonight recognizing their outstanding contributions in the fight against AIDS, TB and malaria at the 6th Annual GBC Awards for Business Excellence...The HIV/AIDS winners include Chevron (workplace); Coca...
- Related companies: Abbott Laboratories Absa Alcan (now Rio Tinto Alcan) AngloGold Ashanti AstraZeneca BHP Billiton British American Tobacco Central Azucarera Don Pedro Chevron Coca-Cola Dole Eli Lilly Eskom Gap General Motors HBO (part of Time Warner) IBM Marathon Oil MTV (part of Viacom) Novartis Standard Chartered Time Warner Viacom
Author: Yolandi Groenewald, Mail & Guardian [So. Africa]
These days the environment is one of the first issues discussed at many financial institutions’ annual meetings and the environment has become an economic commodity. “The environment is now mainstream in business,” said...ABN AMRO South African chief...
Author: Jane Nelson, The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) and John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
As the [OECD] has commented…”Increasing economic growth is essential – but it is not enough. The quality of growth –its sustainability, composition and equity – is equally important”…In many developing countries achieving this goal [improving the...
- Related companies: ABB ABN Amro Absa AIG Allianz Anglo American Aracruz Celulose (now Fibria Celulose) Avon Ayala Bajaj Auto Barclays BHP Billiton BP Cadbury Schweppes (now Cadbury) Cargill Caterpillar Cemex Chevron Chiquita Cisco Systems Citigroup Coca-Cola Deutsche Bank DHL (part of Deutsche Post) DuPont EDF Ericsson Eskom ExxonMobil FedEx General Electric Green Mountain Coffee Honda HP (Hewlett-Packard) HSBC IBM Infosys InterContinental Hotels Marriott Microsoft Monsanto (part of Bayer) Mumias Sugar Nestlé Orient Express Procter & Gamble Rio Tinto RWE SABMiller (part of Anheuser-Busch InBev) San Miguel Corporation SC Johnson Shell Standard Bank Starbucks Suez Taj Group Unilever UPS Vodafone
Author: Carol Hills, Independent [So. Africa]
South Africa had to move on from its apartheid history and forge ahead with democracy despite the pain it often wrought, Johannesburg High Court judge Mohamed Jajbhay said on Wednesday. He was addressing human rights activists opposing the Absa...
Author: Dennis Brutus, Prof. Emeritus, Univ. of Pittsburgh [USA] & Jubilee So. Africa
On the 5th of July 2005...in the Johannesburg High Court, Professor Dennis Brutus and Jubilee will make ex-parte applications to the High Court, stating their opposition to the takeover of Absa by Barclays...advising it that Barclays Bank aided and...
Author: Jubilee South Africa
It is the position of Jubilee South Africa that it will oppose the Barclays bid for ABSA until 1) Barclays apologizes for supporting the Apartheid regime, 2) Barclays makes reparations to those who suffered because of this support, and 3) The Khulumani...
Author: UN Integrated Regional Information Networks (IRIN)
Despite the economic successes of the past 10 years, "vast racial and gender inequalities in the distribution of and access to wealth, income, skills and employment persist" and, "as a consequence, our economy continues to perform below its full...
Pilot project: Southern Africa Business and Gender Initiative [companies participating: ABSA, SAB-Beer Divisions, Vodacom, Toyota, Old Mutual]
Author: Resource Centre for the Social Dimensions of Business Practice