Aditya Birla Group
Headquarters in India
Author: Keya Acharya, Panos Features
Environmentalists and international justice groups are voicing their concerns over proliferating tree plantations, as developing countries try to profit from a growing carbon trade. The India Tobacco Company claims to have stepped into the carbon...
[PDF] Release of IPT [Indian People's Tribunal] Report on Kashipur: An Enquiry into Mining and Human Rights Violations in Kashipur, Orissa
Author: Indian People's Tribunal on Environment & Human Rights
An eight member multidisciplinary panel of the Indian People’s Tribunal headed by Justice S. N. Bhargava (Former Chief Justice Sikkim High Court) enquired into alleged human rights and environment violations created by a bauxite-mining project...
- Related stories: Indian People's Tribunal raises serious human rights & environmental concerns about proposed Uktal bauxite mine in Orissa (joint venture Hindalco & Alcan)
- Related in-depth areas: Environment - An introduction Health - an introduction India Indigenous peoples - an introduction Other authors, including governments
- Related companies: Aditya Birla Group Alcan (now Rio Tinto Alcan) Hindalco (part of Aditya Birla Group) Vedanta Resources
[PDF] Evaluation of The Rapid Environmental Impact Assessments - The Proposed Capacity Expansion of Bauxite Mines at Baphlimali Plateau Rayagada/Kalahandi District, Orissa - The Proposed Capacity Expansion of Utkal Refinery, Doraguhra, Rayagada...
Author: Mark Chernaik, Ph.D., Staff Scientist, Environmental Law Alliance Worldwide
..I evaluated the Rapid Environmental Impact Assessments (EIAs) submitted by Utkal Alumina International Limited (UAIL) [joint venture Hindalco (part of Aditya Birla) & Alcan] for...1) Proposed Capacity Expansion of Bauxite Mines...at Baphlimali...
Author: Khozem Merchant, Financial Times
Naveen Patnaik, the chief minister of Orissa, says his officials have signed memoranda of understanding for investments totalling Rs2,000bn ($43bn). The memoranda should convert into blast furnaces, refineries and smelters over the next five to seven...
- Related stories: Orissa, India: Displacement & resettlement issues caused by increased mining, energy projects (Financial Times)
- Related companies: Aditya Birla Group Alcan (now Rio Tinto Alcan) Hindalco (part of Aditya Birla Group) Mittal Steel (part of Arcelor Mittal) Posco Tata Group Tata Iron and Steel (TISCO) (part of Tata Group)
Author: Les Missionaires Oblats de Marie Immaculée, Ethical Funds, Comité syndical national de retraite Bâtirente [Canada]
[proposition pour l'assemblée générale des actionnaires d'Alcan, 27 avril 2006] Attendu que, dans Kashipur, en Inde, Alcan est partenaire à 45% d'un important projet d'extraction de bauxite et de production d'alumine (UTKAL) que nécessitera l...
- Related stories: Proposition d'actionnaires d'Alcan demande meilleure évaluation des impacts sociaux & environnementaux du projet d'alumine Utkal en Inde
- Related companies: Aditya Birla Group Alcan (now Rio Tinto Alcan) BHP Billiton Hindalco (part of Aditya Birla Group) HSBC Hydro-Québec Norsk Hydro
Recent events demonstrate that the vast majority of local residents support the Utkal Project...The Utkal Project now also has a fully approved Rehabilitation and Resettlement Package(R&R). Utkal’s commitment is to develop a constructive dialogue...
- Related stories: India: Mining project by Alcan & Hindalco (Aditya Birla Group) in Orissa - concern over displacement of tribal peoples & other issues Indian People's Tribunal raises serious human rights & environmental concerns about proposed Uktal bauxite mine in Orissa (joint venture Hindalco & Alcan)
- Related companies: Aditya Birla Group Alcan (now Rio Tinto Alcan) Hindalco (part of Aditya Birla Group)
Author: Intl. Confederation of Free Trade Unions
Updated on Tuesday, November 08, 2005. This list is not exhaustive. We are ready to correct any factual errors which it may contain. As we receive information on further companies which are active in Burma we will approach them in the same way and,...
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese investment overseas Other issues Southeast Asia
- Related companies: 3M Abercrombie & Kent Acer Aditya Birla Group Adventures Abroad Air Canada Air China Air France KLM Airbus (part of EADS) Alcatel (now Alcatel-Lucent) Amer American Express Aptech Atwood Oceanics Austrian Airlines Bangkok Bank Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ (part of Mitsubishi UFJ) Ben Line Agencies Berli Jucker BJ Services Black Canyon Blue Mountain BlueScope Steel Cambrian Caterpillar Cathay Pacific Celio Ceylon Express CHC Chengda Chevalier Chia Khim Lee China Airlines China Metallurgical (MCC) China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) China Telecom Chiyoda CNA CNOOC (China National Offshore Oil Corporation) Coles Group (part of Wesfarmers) Cosco CP (Charoen Pokphand) Crédit Agricole Daewoo International (part of Posco) Datang Telecom Technology Davis Langdon DBS Bank Deutsche Bank DHL (part of Deutsche Post) Diethelm Keller DLH (Dalhoff Larsen & Horneman) Dongfeng Motor Downer Edi Dr. Reddy's Laboratories East Asiatic Company Electricité et Eaux de Madagascar Eni ESRI Essar Group First Cabin First Choice Holidays Fortinet Fritz Werner Company Fuji Heavy Industries GAIL (Gas Authority of India Ltd.) Garuda Indonesia General Motors GlaxoSmithKline Hagemeyer Hapag-Lloyd Group Hashimoto Trading Hazama Hitachi Hitchins Hutchison Whampoa Hyosung Hyundai Corporation (part of Hyundai Group) Hyundai Group IGB Corporation Berhad IHC Caland Indian Airlines Indian Oil Corporation Inetol Headwear Ingersoll-Rand International Hardwood Flooring International SOS Interra Systems Italthai (Italian-Thai Development Public Company) Itochu Ivanhoe Mines (now Turquoise Hill Resources) Japan Airlines Jardine Matheson Jet Gold JFE JGC Kajima Kansai Electric Power (KEPCO) KOGAS (Korea Gas Corporation) Korea Electric Power (KEPCO) Korea United Pharm Kunming Light Industry Machinery Leeward Capital Leica Geosystems Leo Burnett (part of Publicis) Lexmark LG Electronics (part of LG Corp.) LightPointe Lloyd's of London Lonely Planet Louis Dreyfus LSG Sky Chefs Lufthansa Maersk (part of A.P. Moller - Maersk) Majuko Malaysia Airlines Marubeni Michelin Midas Mitsubishi Group Mitsui Mitsui O.S.K. Lines (MOL) Mizuho Bank (part of Mizuho Financial Group) MMC Natixis Nera Nestlé NHPC (National Hydroelectric Power Corporation - India) Nikki Shoji (part of JGC) Nippon Koei Nippon Oil Nishimatsu Construction Nissei NORINCO (China North Industries) Numaligarh Refinery (NRL) Oil India Okaya Omega Watches (part of Swatch) ONGC (Oil & Natural Gas Corporation) OOCL (part of Orient Overseas (International) Limited) Orient Express Otis (part of United Technologies) Pansea Hotels & Resorts Pertamina Petronas Polyphon Film PTT Qantas Airways Qatar Airways R.Crusoe & Son Ranbaxy Laboratories Rheinmetall Robbins Timber Rolls-Royce plc Samgong Samsung Sanyo (part of Panasonic) Satho Hazir Giyim Schenker Schindler Schlumberger Schneider Electric Scomi Sea Containers Senao Shangri-La Hotel Shin SHM Smith Hodgkinson Siemens Singapore Petroleum Sinohydro Sinopec Snamprogetti (part of Eni) Sojitz Solvay Sompo Japan Spilan Square Pharmaceuticals (part of Square Group) SriLankan Airlines State Bank of India Sumitomo Group Sumitomo Mitsui Banking (part of Sumitomo Group) Sun Wah Suzuki Swatch Swift (co-operative) Telekom Malaysia Texchem Thai Airways International Thomas Cook Tiffany Tipco Asphalt Total Transocean UBS UMW United Technologies Unocal (part of Chevron) Verisign Waagner-Biro Willis Zhejiang Orient Holding ZTE
Author: UN Global Compact
The policy on Communication on Progress (COP), introduced in 2003, was designed to increase transparency around Global Compact companies and their actions in support of the ten principles. Companies are asked to communicate publicly on their progress...
- Related companies: ABN Amro Accor Aditya Birla Group Aéroports de Paris (ADP) Alcatel (now Alcatel-Lucent) Allianz Anglo American Aviva BASF BBVA BHP Billiton BOC Group (part of Linde) BP BT Carrefour CDO Foodsphere Central Warehousing Corporation Chennai Petroleum Corporation Cisco Systems Companhia Paranaense de Energia (COPEL) DaimlerChrysler (now Daimler) Danisco Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Diageo EADS (European Aeronautic Defence and Space) EDF Empresas CMPC Epson (part of Seiko) Equals International Ericsson Eskom France Telecom (now Orange) Gaz de France (part of GDF Suez) Grupo Nueva Grupo OHL H&M Hindustan Paper Corporation Holcim HP (Hewlett-Packard) ICI Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative Indian Oil Corporation Indo Gulf Fertilisers (part of Aditya Birla Group) Infosys Interros ISS ITP Group (Industria de Turbo Propulsores) John Ward Ceylon Ketchum Konkan Railway La Poste Lafarge Lagardère Linde Mabuhay Vinyl Mansour Group National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC) NBCC Nestlé Nike Norsk Hydro (now part of Statoil) Norske Skog Novartis Novo Nordisk (part of Novo Group) Novozymes NTPC Pearson Pentland Group Petrobras Pfizer Placer Dome (part of Barrick Gold) Pressalit Group PricewaterhouseCoopers PSA Peugeot-Citroën Publicis RCF (Rashtriya Chemicals & Fertilizers) Renault Repsol YPF RGS Ricoh RUSAL Saint-Gobain SAS (Scandinavian Airlines) Sasol Seiko Serendip Productions Severn Trent Shell Société Générale Sofiyska Voda Stora Enso Suez Talal Abu-Ghazaleh Talisman Tata Motors (part of Tata Group) Telefónica Textil Santanderina TNT (part of TPG) Toshiba Total Unaxis Unilever Unimasters Logistics Group UPM Vacsera Veolia Environnement (formerly Vivendi) Vijayadeep Laboratories Volkswagen Volvo Car (part of Ford) West LB Westpac Winsome Group Wisekey
Author: Minati Dash, Tehelka [India]
...the State has been consistently flouting democratic processes in the tribal areas of Rayageda district in south Orissa in favour of an alumina-mining venture...The project, Utkal Alumina International Limited (UAIL), is based in Kashipur, and it...
- Related stories: India: Mining project by Alcan & Hindalco (Aditya Birla Group) in Orissa - concern over displacement of tribal peoples & other issues
- Related in-depth areas: Displacement - an introduction Environment - An introduction Indigenous peoples - an introduction
- Related companies: Aditya Birla Group Alcan (now Rio Tinto Alcan) Hindalco (part of Aditya Birla Group) Norsk Hydro (now part of Statoil) Tata Group