Headquarters in Germany
Aldi Süd website (in German)
Author: Society for Threatened People
Research focuses on the three regions of Kuchchaveli, Passikudah and Kalpitiya. In all three regions the government’s minimal de- velopment standards have scarcely been observed. Environmental and social impact assessments take place only sporadical...
Author: Deutschlandradio Kultur, Caspar Dohmen
"Holpriger Start eines globalen Bündnisses", Deutschlandradio Kultur, Caspar Dohmen, 20. Januar 2015...
Author: Kate Hodal & Chris Kelly, Guardian
The Thai fishing industry is built on slavery, with men often beaten, tortured and sometimes killed - all to catch 'trash fish' to feed the cheap farmed prawns sold in the west…[M]any Thai officials not only turn a blind eye to abuse…they are often...
Author: Bernice Yeung, Centre for Investigative Reporting (USA)
One of the most effective programs to curb sexual harassment and assault in the agriculture fields expands today with the inking of a national contract with Wal-Mart…Under the Fair Food Program, restaurant chains and grocery stores agree to pay a penny...
- Related stories: USA: Fair Food Coalition urges Ahold, Publix, Wendy's & others to sign pact on tomato farm workers' rights USA: Walmart joins Fair Food Program fighting sexual harassment in farms through code of conduct & external audits
- Related companies: Aldi Nord Aldi Süd Chipotle McDonald's Publix Taco Bell (part of YUM!) Trader Joe's (part of Aldi Nord) Walmart YUM!
Woolworths Australia, GEBRA, Wünsche Group of Germany, became the latest brands to sign the Accord, which aims to make the garment industry safe and sustainable for years to come...The signatory brands have committed to making the changes garment...
- Related stories: ILO and Bangladesh Govt. launch major 3.5-year initiative to improve working conditions and safety in garment factories
- Related companies: Abercrombie & Fitch ABIL (see African Bank Investments Limited) Aldi Nord Aldi Süd American Eagle Outfitters Arcadia Group Auchan Benetton Bestseller C&A Camaïeu (part of Cinven) Carrefour Debenhams El Corte Inglés Esprit G-Star H&M Helly Hansen Hess Corporation Horizonte (part of VDL Group) John Lewis (part of John Lewis Partnership) John Lewis Partnership KarstadtQuelle KiK Kmart (part of Sears) Leclerc Lidl Loblaw Companies Mango Marks & Spencer Matalan Metro Group Mothercare Sean John Clothing Sears Switcher Target Tchibo Tesco Uniqlo (part of Fast Retailing)
Author: Peuples solidaires & Collectif Ethique sur l’étiquette (France)
Les marques leaders de l’habillement dans le monde s’engagent à mettre en œuvre l’Accord sur les incendies et la sécurité des bâtiments au Bangladesh avant la date butoir fixée à minuit le 15 mai. L’Accord s’applique désormais à plus de 1000 usines d...
- Related companies: Aldi Nord Aldi Süd Associated British Foods Auchan Benetton Calvin Klein (part of PVH) Carrefour El Corte Inglés Esprit G-Star H&M Helly Hansen Inditex KiK Lidl Mango Marks & Spencer Mothercare New Look Next Primark (part of Associated British Foods) PVH (Phillips-Van Heusen) Sainsbury's Switcher Tchibo Tesco Tommy Hilfiger (part of PVH) Zara (part of Inditex)
Author: Simon Neville, Guardian [UK]
Walmart has confirmed it will not sign up to a legally binding agreement on worker safety and building regulations in Bangladesh…[T]he…retail giant has created its own agreement, which it claims goes beyond the current accord…The company…said the deal...
- Related companies: Aldi Nord Aldi Süd Arcadia Group ASDA (part of Walmart) Associated British Foods Benetton BHS C&A Calvin Klein (part of PVH) Carrefour El Corte Inglés G-Star H&M Helly Hansen Inditex John Lewis (part of John Lewis Partnership) KiK Loblaw Companies Mango Marks & Spencer Matalan Mothercare New Look Next Peacocks (part of EWM Group) Primark (part of Associated British Foods) PVH (Phillips-Van Heusen) River Island (part of Lewis Trust) Sainsbury's Tchibo Tesco Tommy Hilfiger (part of PVH) Walmart Zara (part of Inditex)
Author: Alejandro Teitelbaum, Jus Semper Global Alliance
In this brief…[Alejandro Teitelbaum, former Permanent Representative to the UN for the American Association of Jurists]…analyses the catastrophe that occurred in Bangladesh in a building where more than 3000 people worked and where almost a third died....
- Related stories: The Catastrophe of Bangladesh - An emblematic case of global capitalism
- Related companies: adidas Aldi Nord Aldi Süd Auchan Benetton C&A Calvin Klein (part of PVH) Carrefour El Corte Inglés Esprit Gap H&M Helly Hansen Inditex KiK Lidl Mango Marks & Spencer Mothercare New Look Next Nike Polo Ralph Lauren Primark (part of Associated British Foods) PVH (Phillips-Van Heusen) Sainsbury's Switcher Tchibo Tesco Walmart
Author: Hanna Gersmann, Guardian [UK]
Environmentalists regard unsustainable palm oil production as a danger not only for orang-utans, elephants, tigers and rhinos in Asia, but also to the climate of the planet as enormous amounts of carbon dioxide are released when forests or peat lands...
- Related stories: WWF says retail & food industry are improving palm oil sourcing & reducing carbon emissions, but situation remains bad
- Related companies: Aldi Nord Aldi Süd Alliance Boots (part of Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) Cadbury (part of Mondelēz International) John Lewis Partnership Kohlberg Kravis Roberts (KKR) Lidl Waitrose (part of John Lewis Partnership)