Alrosa (Almazy Rossii Sakha)
Headquarters in Russia
Alrosa website: www.alrosa.ru
Author: Partnership Africa Canada
This first Annual Review of the diamond industry in Angola...examines the potential for diamonds to serve as an engine of development rather than war. And it spells out some of the challenges that now face a government that has been widely criticized...
- Related stories: Development & diamonds in Angola
- Related companies: Adastra Minerals Africa Israel Alrosa (Almazy Rossii Sakha) ASCORP (Angola Selling Corporation) (joint venture Endiama, Lev Leviev Group, Omega Diamonds) Banco Espírito Santo Beny Steinmetz Group BHP Billiton Chitotolo (Sociedade Mineira do Chitotolo) De Beers Endiama (Empresa Nacional de Diamantes de Angola) Energem Resources ITM Mining Lazare Kaplan Lev Leviev Group Lumanhe New Millennium Resources Odebrecht Petra Diamonds SDM (Sociedade de Desenvolvimento Mineiro de Angola) (joint venture Odebrecht & Endiama) SODIAM (part of Endiama) SouthernEra Diamonds Trans Hex
Author: Partenariat Afrique Canada
L’Angola produira probablement des diamants valant près de 900 millions de dollars en 2005, ce qui engendrera des recettes beaucoup plus importantes pour l’État. Mais les dépenses consacrées à la santé, à l’éducation et à l’infrastructure rurale...
- Related stories: Partnership Africa-Canada report says Angola producing $900 million of diamonds this year, but residents of mining areas see few benefits & are dispossessed of land
- Related companies: Alrosa (Almazy Rossii Sakha) ASCORP (Angola Selling Corporation) (joint venture Endiama, Lev Leviev Group, Omega Diamonds) BHP Billiton Endiama (Empresa Nacional de Diamantes de Angola) Energem Resources Lazare Kaplan Lev Leviev Group New Millennium Resources Odebrecht Petra Diamonds SDM (Sociedade de Desenvolvimento Mineiro de Angola) (joint venture Odebrecht & Endiama) SODIAM (part of Endiama)
Author: Yuriy Humber, Moscow Times
...[The] Kimberley Process...passed a resolution to bring the United Nations onboard to look into Ivory Coast's rough-diamond mining industry. "The situation in Ivory Coast remains complicated. It endangers the Kimberly Process," said Nikolai...
Author: Jan Willem van Gelder, Profundo (Research paper prepared for Berne Declaration & Greenpeace Switzerland)
This report aims to identify and describe the financing activities undertaken UBS Group in the global mining and oil & gas sectors. Most emphasis is given to the involvement of UBS in financing mining and oil & gas projects and companies which...
- Related stories: Involvement of UBS in the global mining and oil & gas sectors
- Related companies: Alcan (now Rio Tinto Alcan) Alcoa Alpha Natural Resources Alrosa (Almazy Rossii Sakha) Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Barrick Gold BHP Billiton BP Cerrejón Coal (joint venture Anglo American, BHP Billiton, Glencore Xstrata) CNOOC (China National Offshore Oil Corporation) Energy Resources Australia (part of Rio Tinto) Eni Evraz Foundation Coal Gazprom Glencore (now Glencore Xstrata) Lukoil MedcoEnergi Newmont Novatek Peabody Energy Petrobras PetroChina Rio Tinto Sinopec Tatneft Teikoku Oil TNK-BP Total UBS Yukos
Author: Aron Heller, Associated Press
The diamond industry must do more to safeguard human rights in Africa, keep the gems out of the hands of criminals and terrorists and address pressing issues of child labor and substandard work conditions and wages, leading industry officials said...
- Related stories: Diamond industry leaders acknowledge they must do more to address child labour, poor working conditions
- Related companies: Alrosa (Almazy Rossii Sakha) De Beers
[PDF] full report: "World Investment Report - Transnational Corporations, Extractive Industries and Development"
Author: UN Conference on Trade & Development (UNCTAD)
The World Investment Report 2007 focuses on the role of transnational corporations in extractive industries... Transnational corporations can bring in the finance and management skills [poor] economies need... But as we know, the extraction of natural...
- Related stories: UNCTAD 2007 World Investment Report focuses on extractive firms' impacts on development
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese Investment Overseas Latin American region Natural Resources
- Related companies: A.P. Moller - Maersk Alrosa (Almazy Rossii Sakha) Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Antofagasta Barrick Gold BCL BHP Billiton BP Chevron China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) CNOOC (China National Offshore Oil Corporation) Codelco Companhia Vale do Rio Doce (now Vale) ConocoPhillips De Beers Debswana (joint venture De Beers & Botswana Govt.) Eni ExxonMobil Freeport-McMoRan Gazprom Glencore Gold Fields Grupo México Harmony Gold Impala Platinum Inco (part of Companhia Vale do Rio Doce) INPEX Kelian Equatorial Mining (part of Rio Tinto) Lukoil Newmont Norilsk Nickel Norsk Hydro (now part of Statoil) ONGC (Oil & Natural Gas Corporation) Petrobras PetroChina Petronas Phelps Dodge (part of Freeport-McMoRan) Repsol YPF Rio Tinto Shell Sinopec Sonatrach Statoil Tatneft Teck Resources Texaco (part of Chevron) Total Xstrata (now part of Glencore)
Author: Partnership Africa Canada
The Kimberley Process (KP)…is failing…Accountability is the primary issue…recommendations are ignored, and there is little or no follow-up…some reviews are completely bogus…cases of flagrant non compliance have been ignored…KP has become a talk shop,...
- Related stories: Le Processus de Kimberley est "sur la voie de l'échec" selon le Partneriat Afrique-Canada
- Related in-depth areas: Democratic Republic of Congo Kimberley Process NGO
- Related companies: African Minerals Alrosa (Almazy Rossii Sakha) Beny Steinmetz Group BHP Billiton De Beers Endiama (Empresa Nacional de Diamantes de Angola) Koidu Holdings (part of Beny Steinmetz Group) Target Resources Trans Hex