Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in South Africa
Supporter of Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
Colombia: Analyst explains conflicts involving indigenous leaders, agribusiness and extractive industries in Cauca
Author: Robin Llewellyn for InterContinental Cry
“Clouds of uncertainty: A web of impunity, corruption and extractivism confronts indigenous leaders in Colombia’s southwest”...
Author: Global Witness (United Kingdom)
In 2016, at least 200 land and environmental defenders were murdered – the deadliest year on record. Not only is this trend growing, it’s spreading – killings were dispersed across 24 countries, compared to 16 in 2015. With many killings unreported,...
- Related stories: New Global Witness report finds govts., businesses & investors are fueling violence against defenders, 200 of whom were killed in 2016
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders
- Related companies: Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Axis Bank BHP Billiton BNDES Coal India (CIL) Energy Transfer Partners Finnfund FMO Glencore Jindal Los Encinos San Miguel Corporation SOCO International South Eastern Coalfields Limited (part of Coal India Limited) Vedanta Resources Yes Bank
Author: Red DESC
La siguiente petición ha sido lanzada por los miembros de la Red-DESC Comite Ambiental en Defensa de la Vida y Red Internacional de Derechos Humanos (RIDH), y que invitan a otros miembros de la Red-DESC y al público en general a añadir su firma en...
So. Africa: AngloGold Ashanti issues notices of intention to retrench 8 500 mine workers; unions say they will oppose the move as it increases poverty in mining communities
Africa's biggest gold miner AngloGold Ashanti (AGA) is planning to retrench 8,500 mine workers as part of restructuring its South African operations. AGA sent notices to workers union end of June notifying them of the pending retrenchments. AngloGold...
Author: Claudia Bröll, Neue Zürcher Zeitung
Die neue [Bergbau-]Charta will [...] die Besitzverhältnisse in der Minenindustrie grundlegend zugunsten der einst unterdrückten schwarzen Bevölkerung verschieben... Unternehmensvertreter, Rating-Agenturen und Rechtsexperten jedoch reagierten alarmiert....
Author: Action for Southern Africa (United Kingdom)
Anglo American South Africa (AASA) was the largest and longest established gold mining company in South Africa throughout the 20th century, operating 12 mines within its group. AASA is a wholly owned subsidiary of global mining giant Anglo American...
- Related stories: Gold miner silicosis litigation (re So. Africa) So. Africa: Court allows silicosis & tuberculosis class action lawsuits against gold mining companies So. Africa: Gold mining companies to appeal silicosis & tuberculosis class action certification Show moreShow less
- Related companies: African Rainbow Minerals Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Gold Fields Harmony Gold