Antofagasta website: www.antofagasta.co.uk
Author: Responsible Mining Foundation
…El Responsible Mining Index (RMI) apoya el principio de que los minerales y metales deberían ser beneficiosos para las economías, mejorar la vida de los pueblos y respetar el medio ambiente de los países productores, además de permitir que las...
- Related companies: Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Antofagasta Arcelor Mittal Banpu Barrick Gold BHP Billiton Bumi Resources Coal India (CIL) Codelco Evraz Exxaro Freeport-McMoRan Glencore Gold Fields Goldcorp (now Newmont Goldcorp) Grupo México Grupo Peñoles Minerals and Metals Group (MMG) (part of China Minmetals) MMC National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC) Newcrest Newmont Goldcorp Rio Tinto RUSAL Teck Resources Vale Vedanta Resources Zijin
This first index covers 30 companies measured based on 73 indicators applied at company level across various thematic areas (namely: economic development, business conduct, lifecycle management, community wellbeing, working conditions, environmental...
Latin America: Analyst links decline in commodities’ prices with opportunity for local communities affected by mining
Author: Raúl Zibechi (Translated by Paige Patchin)
"Mining in Decline: An Opportunity for the Peoples"...
This report aims at exploring contemporary mining conflicts in the context of the sustainable development and environmental justice...[T]he project and type of conflict are characterized in a nutshell, with some basic factual background that describe...
- Related stories: EJOLT report explores mining conflicts in context of sustainable development & environmental justice
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News Latest news on conflict & peace
- Related companies: AngloGold Ashanti Antofagasta Areva Barrick Gold Buenaventura China Railway Construction Codelco Copper Mesa Mining Corriente Resources Dundee Precious Metals DuPont Eco Oro Minerals (formerly Greystar Resources) Ecuacorriente (part of Corriente Resources) Entre Mares (part of Goldcorp) Enusa Glamis Gold (part of Goldcorp) Goldcorp Greystar Resources Grupo México Inmet Mining Marubeni Meridian Gold Minera San Xavier (part of New Gold) Mitsubishi Group Mitsubishi Materials (part of Mitsubishi Group) Mitsui Montana Exploradora (part of Goldcorp) New Gold Newmont Nippon Mining Pacific Rim Mining Paladin Energy Placer Dome (part of Barrick Gold) Rio Tinto Rössing Uranium Southern Copper (part of Grupo México) Tongling Nonferrous Metals Yamana Gold
Author: Standard Life Investments
Foreword by James Featherby...Investors regularly evaluate...a variety of risks that could impact on their investments, including the risks that social and environmental issues pose to secure, stable and safe operations. Human rights issues have been...
- Related stories: Standard Life Investments issues report on implementation of UN Guiding Principles on business & human rights in extractives sector
- Related companies: Anglo American Antofagasta BG Group BHP Billiton BP Cairn Energy Eni OMV Randgold Repsol YPF Rio Tinto Shell Statoil Total Tullow Oil Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata)
Author: Leo Hickman, Fiona Harvey, Guardian [UK]
Mining and commodities giant Glencore has suffered dozens of fatalities and been subject to six-figure fines for environmental breaches, the company revealed...Glencore and its majority-owned operations suffered 56 fatalities in the 2008-10 period...
- Related stories: Glencore reveals 56 fatalities, 6-figure environmental fines during 2008-10 - NGO says firm is well below sector leaders in safety, Glencore “concerned” about deaths
- Related companies: Anglo American Antofagasta ENRC Glencore (now Glencore Xstrata) Kazakhmys Vedanta Resources Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata)