Headquarters in Australia
Cambodia: ANZ says it is “not considering compensation measures” for displaced families since it no longer finances Phnom Penh Sugar
Author: Aun Pheap & Zsombor Peter, Cambodia Daily
“ANZ Refuses to Help Evictees of Senator’s Farm”, 15 August 2014...
- Related stories: Cambodia: Villagers & NGOs express disappointment over ANZ’s cutting of ties with Phnom Penh Sugar; ANZ responds
- Related companies: ANZ Bank Phnom Penh Sugar
Cambodia: Villagers & NGOs express disappointment over ANZ’s cutting of ties with Phnom Penh Sugar; ANZ responds
Cambodia: ANZ cuts off ties with Phnom Penh Sugar allegedly due to “inadequate response” to a plan to remedy concerns about forced evictions, child labour
Author: Khmer Times
“ANZ cuts off ties to Cambodian firm”, 6 July 2014...
Australian banks' investment in companies accused of land grab (Oxfam report, Apr 2014) - company responses
Author: Compiled by Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
[Business & Human Rights Resource Centre invited Bunge, Phnom Penh Sugar, Wilmar to respond - responses provided] In April 2014, Oxfam Australia released the report "Banking on Shaky Grounds - Australia's big four banks and land grabs". The report...
Author: Joahua Wilwohl, Cambodia Daily
…“ANZ would prefer to completely own 100 percent of its operations in Cambodia,” said ANZ Royal CEO Grant Knuckey. In order to own its bank in Cambodia outright, ANZ could either buy out Royal Group…or offload its shares and open a new bank...Mr....
ANZ’s response to the statement of Equitable Cambodia and Inclusive Development International regarding its link to Phnom Penh Sugar [Cambodia]
ANZ has requested Phnom Penh Sugar to have a direct dialogue with the NGOs and community leaders and we will continue to review the way the company addresses its social and environmental obligations.
- Related stories: Cambodia: NGOs urge ANZ to "stay engaged until proper remedies are provided to the victims" instead of simply pulling out of sugar project linked to serious abuses
- This is a response from the following companies: ANZ Bank
Dropping Phnom Penh Sugar without compensating its victims will not relieve ANZ’s responsibility [Cambodia]
Author: Equitable Cambodia & Inclusive Development Initiatives
Equitable Cambodia and Inclusive Development International call upon ANZ to right the wrongs it has done by financing the Phnom Penh Sugar plantation and not just jump ship…Eang Vuthy, Executive Director of Equitable Cambodia, said: “We are very...
Author: Richard Baker & Nick McKenzie, Sydney Morning Herald (Australia)
...ANZ is financing a Cambodian sugar plantation that has involved child labour, military-backed land grabs, forced evictions and food shortages. ANZ's support of the Phnom Penh Sugar Company's plantation is disclosed in confidential audits that...
- Related stories: ANZ seeks 100% control of Cambodia operations months after allegations surfaced that ANZ Royal helped finance a sugar refinery linked to forced evictions Cambodia: ANZ reportedly financing Phnom Penh Sugar, a company beset by allegations of child labour & forced evictions
- Related companies: ANZ Bank
Author: Brisbane Times
Myer's social media woes over NDIS [National Disability Insurance Scheme] comments appear set to continue as more than 20,000 people sign a petition calling for the department store chain to set disability hiring quotas. The online petition...calls...