Archer Daniels Midland
Headquarters in USA
Response rate: 100%
(click here for an explanation)
[PDF] full report: "The news on chocolate is bittersweet: no progress on child labor, but fair trade chocolate is on the rise"
Author: Global Exchange
This report documents these two trends: the lack of movement in the chocolate industry as a whole on the issue of illegal child labor and the forward movement by consumers who are concerned about the working conditions of cocoa workers and have begun...
[refers to BASF, Bayer, Dow, DuPont, Monsanto, Syngenta, Chiquita, Dole, Archer Daniels Midland, Barry Callebaut, Cargill, Fyffes, ADM, Cargill, Zen Noh, Unilever, Nestlé, Tyson, Wal-Mart, Tesco, Asda (part of Wal-Mart), Safeway (part of Morrisons),...
- Related stories: ActionAid report says food multinationals "threaten fight against poverty" (refers to Nestlé, Unilever, Monsanto, Parmalat, Cargill, Wal-Mart, others)
- Related companies: Archer Daniels Midland ASDA (part of Walmart) Barry Callebaut BASF Bayer Booz Allen Hamilton British American Tobacco Cargill Carrefour Chiquita Dole Morrisons PepsiCo Safeway UK (part of Morrisons) Sainsbury Syngenta Tesco Tyson Unilever Walmart
Author: Jeff Coelho, Reuters
The cocoa industry, facing criticism for not moving fast enough to stomp out child labor, will launch a pilot monitoring system in West Africa next month with hopes of sweetening chocolate's tainted image...The CMA [Chocolate Manufacturers Association...
Author: Friends of the Earth
[refers to Cadbury Schweppes, Raja Garuda Mas, Sinar Mas, Unilever, Walkers (part of PepsiCo), Jacob's Bakery, Cargill, Sainsbury's, Tesco, Archer Daniels Midland, Pura Foods, Kellog's]
- Related stories: Friends of the Earth calls on Cadbury Schweppes to require higher environmental, social standards from palm oil suppliers
- Related companies: Archer Daniels Midland Cadbury Schweppes (now Cadbury) Cargill Heinz Jacob's Bakery PepsiCo Pura Foods Raja Garuda Mas Sainsbury Sinar Mas Group Tesco Unilever Walkers (part of PepsiCo)
[PDF] full report: "Promoting International Worker Rights through Private Voluntary Initiatives: Public Relations or Public Policy?" - A Report to the U.S. Dept. of State
Author: Elliot J. Schrage, commissioned by University of Iowa Center for Human Rights (UICHR)
[refers to soccer ball companies Adidas, Brine, Franklin, Mitre, Mizuno, Moltex Sporting Goods, Nike, Reebok, Saga Sports, Umbro; coffee industry companies Kraft (part of Altria), Nestlé, Procter & Gamble, Sara Lee, Starbucks; toy-related...
- Related stories: Codes of conduct: New report examines their effectiveness & points to need for greater U.S. government support
- Related companies: Altria Archer Daniels Midland Barry Callebaut Blommer Chocolate Brine Cadbury Schweppes (now Cadbury) Cargill Chicco Franklin Sports Guittard Hershey Kraft Foods Mars Mattel Mitre Sports Mizuno Moltex Sporting Goods Nestlé Nike Procter & Gamble Reebok (part of adidas) Saga Sports Sara Lee Sears Starbucks Toys R Us Umbro Walt Disney World's Finest Chocolate
Author: Elizabeth Becker, New York Times
An international labor rights group announced today that it planned to sue the United States Customs Service for breaking American trade law and allowing African cocoa picked by indentured child labor [in Côte d'Ivoire] to be imported into this...
- Related stories: Nestlé, Cargill, Archer Daniels Midland lawsuit (re Côte d'Ivoire)
- Related companies: Archer Daniels Midland Cargill Nestlé