Argos (part of Home Retail Group)
Headquarters in United Kingdom
(for the unrelated Colombia-based company Cementos Argos, click here)
Calls for major reforms to UK Modern Slavery Act & mandatory due diligence growing, Ethical Corporation reports
Author: Katherine Steiner-Dicks, Ethical Corporation
"‘We know most global companies have modern slavery in their supply chains’", 6 Aug 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on mandatory human rights due diligence Latest news on modern slavery & forced labour
- Related companies: "S Group" Argos (part of Home Retail Group) ASDA (part of Walmart) ASN Bank (part of SNS Reaal) ASOS Barry Callebaut Bavaria (part of SABMiller) Cargill Heineken Home Retail Group Homebase (part of Home Retail Group) John Lewis Partnership Marks & Spencer Rabobank Sainsbury's SNS Reaal Tesco Tony's Chocoloney Travis Perkins Vedanta Resources Waitrose (part of John Lewis Partnership) Walmart Wickes
Charity & police break up UK's largest modern slavery ring; victims worked in farms allegedly supplying UK retailers & supermarkets
In July 2019, the largest-ever modern slavery ring uncovered in the UK has been broken up following a three-year investigation into its activities. Investigators found some of its 400 victims worked for as little as 50p a day, working on farms, rubbish...
Author: Professional Jeweller
Filming secretly in Britain's biggest high street jewellery chains including Argos, Goldsmiths, H. Samuel, Ernest Jones and Leslie Davis, [Channel 4's current affairs programme] Dispatches [shows] footage of shop assistants giving incorrect information...
- Related stories: Dispatches television programme claims that consumers inadvertently support child labour and environmental damage due to inaccurate information given by UK jewellery chains regarding ethically sourced gold
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on Children
- Related companies: Argos (part of Home Retail Group) Ernest Jones (part of Signet) H.Samuel (part of Signet) Home Retail Group Leslie Davis (part of Signet) Signet Jewelers
Response by Argos (part of Home Retail Group): CAFOD calls on Argos to sign 12 "Golden Rules" to reduce harmful social & environmental impacts of gold mining.
- Related stories: Guatemala: Concerns about social & environmental impacts of Goldcorp's Marlin mine, including threats against author of report on toxic run-off
- This is a response from the following companies: Argos (part of Home Retail Group)
As the biggest jewellery retailer in the UK it is vital that we play a part inensuring that all gold we source is mined without damage to the environment and to the communities living near the mines and we have made it clear to CAFOD that we broadly...
- Related stories: CAFOD calls on Argos, Goldsmiths to sign 12 "Golden Rules" to reduce harmful social & environmental impacts of gold mining
- This is a response from the following companies: Argos (part of Home Retail Group) Home Retail Group
CAFOD is urging its supporters to take action now against Argos (part of Home Retail Group) and Goldsmiths as they are falling behind other jewellers in their response to the Unearth Justice campaign. The campaign, to reduce the harm caused by gold...
Author: Burma Campaign UK
Companies refusing to disclose if they source clothes from Burma are today named and shamed by the Burma Campaign UK. 41 clothing retailers have ignored repeated requests to disclose whether they source clothes from Burma...The companies named and...
- Related companies: Argos (part of Home Retail Group) Bay Trading Benetton Calvin Klein (part of PVH) Harrods Hobbs Intersport Jane Norman (part of Edinburgh Woollen Mill) Jo Bloggs Liberty PLC Lillywhites (part of Sports Direct) Liz Claiborne (part of J.C. Penney) Mambo Mexx (part of RNF Holding) MK One (part of Baugur) Naf Naf Paul Smith PVH (Phillips-Van Heusen) Sports Direct Urban Outfitters