Assistant Accountant at Empowering Responsible Investment
Empowering Responsible Investment (EIRIS) is seeking an Assistant Accountant for the London Office. The Assistant Accountant in London provides support to around 55 employees based in the London office and works closely with international offices and colleagues. The Assistant Accountant will report to the Financial Controller.
EIRIS is a leading global provider of research used by investors and financial institutions to assess the social, environmental, governance (ESG) and ethical performance of companies. EIRIS’ products and services support a wide range of responsible investment strategies, helping fund managers and analysts to create enhanced portfolios, identify and manage risk and support effective engagement with companies. The EIRIS Global Platform, an innovative, online software product, provides direct access to EIRIS’ research universe of approximately 3,000 companies. Our client base has also become increasingly global. EIRIS now provides responsible investment services to more than 200 clients, including asset owners, asset managers, banks, wealth managers and charities around the world - as well as major index providers.
Purpose of Position
This position is part of the Finance and Central Services (FCS) department: a team of four consisting of the Financial Controller, Executive Personal Assistant, Human Resource Adviser and the Account Assistant.
The majority of work will consist of the day to day maintenance and development of EIRIS’ financial records and associated processes. This will include liaising with budget holders , assist in all aspects of accounting functions for the group of companies to trial balance, including purchase and sales ledger, credit control, bank reconciliation, preparation of quarterly VAT returns and control account reconciliation.
The successful candidate will possess an accounting technician qualification, or a current student undertaking professional exams and have completed the fundamental and intermediate stages, or equivalent degree module, and have the ability to interpret and analyse complex data.
Experience of working within a finance department for a minimum of 2 years information is essential. The ability to communicate to staff at all level is desirable for this post.
You will also assist the Financial Controller in providing efficient and effective financial services and management accounts.
The post holder will report to the Financial Controller.
Working with others
You will also work with the Central Services and members of other teams.
Major tasks & responsibilities
- Reconciliation and analysis of the petty cash account and the other key nominal accounts
- Manage the credit control systems, through the production of monthly aged debtor reports, ensuring that late payments are identified and notified to the Financial Controller and Account Managers.
- Be responsible for ensuring that suppliers invoices are paid in a timely manner
- Provide advice and support to Financial Controller on day to day basis on relevant financial matters
- Reconcile credit card accounts on a monthly basis, noting the balances available to each card holder and informing the provider on any changes in credit limit
- Correspond with the company bankers, credit card providers, HMRC and other statutory bodies as required
- Maintain and update the budget spreadsheet for Income Data
Year End and Audit
- Assist the Financial Controller with the year-end accounts ensuring that any accruals or prepayments are properly accounted for
- Prepare monthly income recognition reports (identifying customers gain and loss during month)
- Prepare schedules and production of audit evidence as requested by the Financial Controller and external auditors
- Prepare income and expenditure journals
- Compare opening and closing balances for client accounts
- Perform all aspects of accounting including all aspects accounts payables and receivables, reconciliations, journals and nominal ledger administration
- Produce invoice templates and clients’ invoices
- Update the Income Data spread sheet and allocate income to different income streams
- Process suppliers’ invoices and staff expenses, ensuring payments are done on a timely basis
- Record pension contributions and loan repayments deducted from payroll to the respective nominal account on a monthly basis
- Process Inter- Company Payments
- Assist with the monthly payroll process
- Carry out any other appropriate financial tasks as requested by the Financial Controller or CEO
Qualifications, skills and experience
- Educated to degree level or equivalent with relevant Accountancy qualifications
- CAT/ AAT Qualified or ACCA, CIMA or ACA student to professional level
- At least two years’ experience working in an accounts department
- At least1 year experience in using Sage Line 50 and Sage Payroll
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Experience of contributing to the budget and payroll process
- Highly motivated, keen to learn new skills and contribute to the overall function of the FCS team
- Experience of performing control account reconciliations including bank reconciliations
- Demonstrates a logical and methodical approach with attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to liaise closely with internal colleagues and external agencies
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Familiarity of making payments/ submitting receipts via the BACS system
- Making payroll deductions payments and providing external party with payroll related data in a timely manner
- Experience of tracing transactions from source document to an accounting system and vice versa
- Ability to work on own initiative without detailed direction
- Self-motivated demonstrating drive, enthusiasm and determination
- Basic contract knowledge
It is envisaged that, from time-to-time there will be a review of the time allocation between different tasks. The percentage of time spent on particular aspects can be expected to fluctuate during any year to take into account evolving work requirements, short-term projects and pressures, and longer term changes of business strategy.
This job description will be subject to change and development in response to the needs of EIRIS as a business. It will be reviewed with you by your manager after 3 months, to ensure it is a true reflection of what is being done, or to incorporate changes when it is found to be inaccurate. You will be expected to participate fully in such discussions with a view to reaching agreement on any changes felt to be necessary. If agreement is not possible, EIRIS reserves the right to insist on changes to your job description in line with your grade / level in the organisation, after consultation with you.
Job title: Assistant Accountant
Salary: £27,411 per annum (£17,543.04 per annum 24 hours per week)
Contract: Part-time, fixed-term contract until December 2015 (maternity cover)
Closing date: 30 April 2015