Azerbaijan - Continued Repression of Civil Society & Human Rights Defenders
12:30-14:00 | 7 March | Geneva
The United Nations Human Rights Council must act to stop Azerbaijan's continued crackdown on human rights defenders and civil society. Despite repeated warnings and recommendations from international and European human rights bodies, the Azerbaijani authorities continue to disregard their obligations under international human rights law. This side event brings together Azerbaijani human rights defenders with UN and State representatives to outline their different perspectives on the situation, and call for the international community to respond.
- MICHEL FORST, United Nations Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights defenders
- MAINA KIAI, United Nations Special Rapporteur on freedoms of assembly and of association
- EMIN HUSEYNOV, Azerbaijani human rights defender and founder of the Institute for Reporters' Freedom and Safety
- KHADIJA ISMAYILOVA, (via Skype), Azerbaijani journalist for Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty
- GULNARA AKHUNDOVA, Azerbaijani human rights defender, International Media Support in Copenhagen
- NECMIN KAMILSOY Azerbaijani human rights activist, son of prominent human rights lawyer Intigam Alyiev
The event will be moderated by PATRICIA O'BRIEN, Ambassador, Permanent Representative of Ireland to the United Nations and other International Organisations in Geneva.