British American Tobacco
Headquarters in United Kingdom
A regional overview...
Uganda: Tobacco farmers & companies oppose proposed law but medics say it will reduce tobacco-related deaths
Author: Alon Mwesigwa, in The Guardian (UK) 1 July 2014
"Uganda's tobacco laws could see farmers' livelihoods go up in smoke"...
- Related companies: British American Tobacco
- Related stories: Nigeria: Farmers allege British America Tobacco 'putting them in modern slavery'; claim child labour used to reduce costs as a result
- This is a response from the following companies: British American Tobacco
Author: Human Rights Watch
[Includes correspondence with Altria, British American Tobacco, China National Tobacco, Imperial Tobacco, Japan Tobacco, Lorillard Tobacco (part of Carolina Group), Philip Morris International, Reynolds American & Universal Corporation]
- Related stories: USA: Children working on tobacco farms suffer from nicotine poisoning, Human Rights Watch report - includes video
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on Children
- Related companies: Alliance One Altria British American Tobacco Imperial Tobacco Lorillard Tobacco (part of Carolina Group) Philip Morris International Reynolds American Universal Corporation
Author: Mercy Nulago, Daily Monitor (Uganda)
Anti-tobacco activists...have backed the Tobacco Control Bill, 2014, saying it will regulate and control the consumption of tobacco and protect generations from its devastating effects...[T]he activists told legislators that tobacco is harmful and a...
[PDF] Steep Rise in Allegations of Human Rights Abuse as Boom in Investment Brings Hope of Prosperity
Author: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
In a new briefing paper...Business & Human Rights Resource Centre...identifies three key trends in companies’ human rights impacts in the region...Executive Director...Phil Bloomer said: “The threat of the infamous ‘Resource Curse’ hangs heavy...
- Related stories: "Steep Rise in Allegations of Human Rights Abuse as Boom in Investment Brings Hope of Prosperity - New briefing paper on business and human rights in Eastern Africa" (announcement) African Barrick Gold lawsuit (re Tanzania) Kaweri Coffee (part of Neumann Gruppe) lawsuit (re forced eviction in Uganda) Thomson Safaris lawsuit (re Maasai in Tanzania) Show moreShow less
- Related companies: AngloGold Ashanti Barrick Gold Bidco Oil Refineries British American Tobacco China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) Eland Coal Mining Gamma Group Japan Tobacco International Johnson & Johnson JPMorgan Chase Kaweri (part of Neumann Gruppe) Kenya Commercial Bank Kenya Pipeline Company MTN Neumann Gruppe Nevsun Paladin Energy PetroChina (part of China National Petroleum Corporation) Philip Morris International SABMiller (part of Anheuser-Busch InBev) Safaricom Strategic Friends International Tanzania Breweries (part of SABMiller) Thomson Safaris (part of Wineland-Thomson Adventures) Total Tullow Oil Unilever Wilmar International Wineland-Thomson Adventures ZTE