Headquarters in Thailand
Laos: Protests continue against Xayaburi Dam for the reduced river flow and risk of livelihood crisis as it begins operations
Author: Panu Wongcha-um, Reuters
"New Mekong dam in Laos opens to protests, dried-out downstream", 28 Oct 2019...
- Related stories: Laos: Xayaburi Dam begins operations despite villagers arguing that dam will destroy their livelihoods
- Related companies: CH. Karnchang CK Power Company
Laos: Xayaburi Dam begins operations despite villagers arguing that dam will destroy their livelihoods
An article alleges that the Xayaburi Dam, in which CK Power is a main developer, will destroy the livelihoods of the villagers. It further alleges that the beginning of the commercial operations of the Xayaburi Dam coincides with “parts of the Mekong...
Civil society groups highlight human rights challenges in Laos as it hosts ASEAN Summit; includes brief on “high costs of foreign investment”
Author: Focus on the Global South, Civil Rights Defenders, Mekong Watch, FIDH, Sombath Initiative, International Commission of Jurists
"ASEAN in Laos: Challenges of Leadership, Human Rights, and Democracy", 27 Aug 2016...
Author: Amy Sawitta Lefevre, Reuters
"Thai court takes villagers' case against power firm, Laos dam", 24 June 2014...
- Related stories: Thailand: Court accepts villagers’ lawsuit on transboundary impacts of Xayaburi Dam in neighbouring Laos Thailand: “Evidence suggests relevant authorities have failed to adequately listen to the opinions of people,” says judge regarding case on Xayaburi Dam in Laos Xayaburi dam lawsuit (re Laos & Thailand) Show moreShow less
- Related companies: CH. Karnchang
CH. Karnchang did not respond to: Xayaburi Dam raises concerns about environmental & social impacts for communities in the Mekong region.
- Related stories: Laos: Xayaburi dam raises concerns about environmental & social impacts for communities in the Mekong region
- This is a non response from the following companies: CH. Karnchang
Author: Deutsche Presse Agentur
Environmentalists have warned investors against going ahead with proposed dams on the Mekong River...A plan to...build a dam in Xayaburi province in Laos could displace communities and destroy fish populations, Suphasuk Pradubsuk from the World Wide...