Chief Safety Officer
Alliance for Bangladesh Worker Safety
- Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Salary: Highly Competitive including hardship allowance and expat benefits
- Closing Date: 31/07/2016
The Alliance for Bangladesh Worker Safety (the Alliance)is a group of 28 major global retailers formed to develop and launch the Bangladesh Worker Safety Initiative, a legally binding, five-year undertaking with the intent of improving safety in Bangladeshi ready-made garment (RMG) factories. Acre has been engaged to identify a Chief Safety Officer who will provide expert engineering advice, strategic support and technical direction to ensure the consistency, effectiveness, and sustainability of Alliance remediation and risk management efforts in Bangladesh. Reporting to the Country Director and overseeing the management of the technical and engineering teams, your role will be to provide technical expertise and guidance to all parties. All matters of life/ fire safety will be your responsibility.
Key duties will include:
- Mentoring and coaching engineers, technical staff, factories, consultants, contractors and others responsible for achieving compliance to fire / life safety standards
- Developing and disseminating information and advice concerning application and interpretation of technical requirements to all concerned parties to promote effective remediation
- Creating tools and techniques for assessing risk hazards in RGM factories and auditing compliance
- Building capacity through forums and strategic programmes, working closely with all relevant Bangladesh parties including the ILO, BGMEA, local universities and the Department for Inspection of Factories Reporting to staff and senior management on all matters affecting technical consistency and remediation effectiveness
In the final two years before the Alliance concludes its mandate, this critical position is paramount to achieving the goals laid out at the organization’s creation in 2013. It will be an extremely demanding but highly rewarding position.
The Chief Safety Officer will:
- Have thorough knowledge and practical experience of building and fire safety codes
- Be degree educated in a related subject such as civil, structural or fire engineering
- Have proven experience in leading a group of safety / fire safety professionals in a challenging environment
- Have a high level of social and cultural sensitivity with knowledge of human and labour rights being highly beneficial
- Be an individual of upmost integrity Ideally have extensive experience of working in developing countries, ideally Bangladesh
This is an opportunity to have a significant impact on the safety of a nation of workers, and as such it is one of the most important and high profile roles in health and safety globally. You will represent some of the best-known North American global brands and retailers in helping workers in Bangladesh gain security and dignity. The role will run until July 2018 date.