Related stories and components
Cambodia: Erdos Hongjun Investment pulls out of Boeung Kak project – a planned development in Phnom Penh that has evicted thousands
Author: Joshua Lipes, Radio Free Asia
…Following a “burst” of new land disputes, 48 people were charged for their alleged roles in land disputes in the first quarter of 2014 alone and 12 among them were detained, compared to 100 people charged and 20 detained last year…Those affected by...
Author: Shibani Mahtani, Wall Street Journal
…[T]he debate surrounding the [Myitsone] dam's future has grown loud. Residents and activists concerned about the project's impact on the environment are fighting to permanently shut it down, while the dam's Chinese developers are pushing to restart...
Author: May Titthara & David Boyle, Phnom Penh Post (Cambodia)
...The company, Union Development Group, wants...more than 1,000 other families to quietly move to relocation villages far back from the ocean. Rights group Adhoc says...45...houses in Botum Sakor district were burned to the ground in the latest round...
Union Development Group did not respond to: Union Development Group re evictions for resort project in Cambodia
- Related stories: Union Development Group re evictions for resort project in Cambodia
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese investment overseas Construction, including dam-building Environmental issues Land Rights & Displacements Southeast Asia
- This is a non response from the following companies: Union Development Group
Author: Radio Free Asia
A citizen video shows a rare confrontation between authorities and villagers in Bokeo Province in Northern Laos. The villagers gathered to block construction workers from digging up their rice fields to build an airport. They say they have not received...
Author: S'Phan Shaung, Karen News (Myanmar)
[Myanmar President] U Thein Sein…granted amnesty to 69 political prisoners, including Naw Ohn Hla…who was…[sentenced to two years in prison] because of her involvement in leading protests against the Letpadaung Copper Mining Project, a Chinese copper...
Wanbao Mining did not respond to: Villagers opposed to Letpadaung mine reportedly fear harsh govt. crackdown against those who refuse compensation.
- Related stories: Villagers opposed to Letpadaung mine reportedly fear harsh govt. crackdown against those who refuse compensation.
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese investment overseas Extractives, including oil and mines Southeast Asia Violence & Abuses
- This is a non response from the following companies: Wanbao Mining
Author: Kyaw Zwa Moe, Saw Yan Naing, Irrawaddy (Thailand)
…After the suspension of the Chinese-backed Myitsone hydropower dam project…Beijing was forced to re-evaluate its approach to dealing with Burma…Providing arms and other support to Burma’s generals to win access to resources and other strategically...