Chinese investment overseas
Welcome to our information platform on the social and environmental impacts of Chinese companies operating overseas. It aims to: raise awareness of existing guidelines; increase transparency; and strengthen accountability. It is within the broader context of our work encouraing companies headquartered in all regions to respect human rights. More about the platform.
The following in-depth areas are available in other languages:
Related stories and components
[PDF] Rising Powers and Global Standards: Chinese and American oil companies and their environmental practices in Chad: A quiet confluence of streams or silence before the battle?
Author: Geert Van Vliet, CIRAD, UMR ART-DEV, France; Géraud Magrin, CIRAD, UMR TETIS, France; Weiyong Yang, Yiran Lin, Fan Wang and Guohuang Liang, University of International Business and Economics, China; Gilbert Maoundonodji and Antoine Doudjidingao, GRAMP-TC, Chad; Romain Dittgen and Marie-Adeline Tavares, Université de Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne, UMR PRODIG
Does the Chinese National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) intend to, and is it in a position to, engage in a race to the bottom regarding environmental standards and norms in Chad’s oil sector?...We will try to argue that...the CNPC is not in a position...
Author: Zimbabwe Metro
Incidents of physical abuse of Zimbabweans while working on Chinese-owned businesses are on the increase in the country, Zimbabwe Congress of Trade Unions (ZCTU) secretary-general, Japhet Moyo has said. Thousands of Zimbabweans employed by the Chinese...
Author: MacDonald Dzirutwe, Reuters
A Chinese mining group has denied violating human rights at Zimbabwe's Marange diamond fields where unlicensed small-scale miners have clashed with security forces in the past...Human Rights Watch (HRW) said...that police and private security employed...
- Related in-depth areas: African region Chinese Firms' Impacts Abroad Natural Resources Violence & Abuses
- Related companies: Anhui Foreign Economic Construction Anjin (joint venture Anhui Foreign Economic Construction, Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation & Govt. of Zimbabwe) Mbada Diamonds (joint venture New Reclamation Group & Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation) New Reclamation
China International Trust and Investment (CITIC) did not respond to: Shwe Gas Movement rejoinder to companies regarding report claiming displacement, forced labour, violence, deaths in construction of gas pipeline.
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese firms' impacts abroad Extractives, including oil and mines Labour issues Land Rights & Displacements Shwe Gas Movement Report - September 2011 Southeast Asia Violence & Abuses
- This is a non response from the following companies: China International Trust and Investment (CITIC)
HydroChina did not respond to: Shwe Gas Movement rejoinder to companies regarding report claiming displacement, forced labour, violence, deaths in construction of gas pipeline.
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese firms' impacts abroad Construction, including dam-building Extractives, including oil and mines Labour issues Land Rights & Displacements Shwe Gas Movement Report - September 2011 Southeast Asia Violence & Abuses
- This is a non response from the following companies: HydroChina
Author: Ghana Web
Shaanxi Mining Company…a Chinese Mining Company operating at Gbani…is to improve the safety and employment conditions of employees...The Chief Executive Officer…of the company; Mr Wei Yunlong...said Chinese doctors would be attached to the mining...
Un millier de personnes ont organisé un sit-in dimanche dans le nord du Soudan pour protester contre l'absence de compensations de la part du gouvernement après la construction du barrage de Méroé, a annoncé un porte-parole des protestataires. Nous...
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese investment overseas