Fair Labor Association
- Location: Washington, D.C.
- Salary: -
- Contract Type: -
- Closing Date: 31/08/2020
The Communications Manager advances the mission of the Fair Labor Association with responsibility for editorial, programmatic, and digital communications. The Communications Manager will support the goal to increase recognition of the organization and its accreditation by assisting with the development of high-quality materials, managing digital platforms, and collaborating on strategies to promote research, policy, and program activities.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Assist with the creation and dissemination of high-quality communications materials with responsibility for conceiving, writing, editing, and proofreading aligned with assigned deadlines.
- Publish newsletters, including a weekly for members and a monthly for partners;
- Manage the review and development of research and policy reports;
- Develop and maintain issue and program fact sheets;
- Draft speeches and presentations, including supporting materials; and
- Craft correspondence, press statements, and quotes for senior staff.
- Manage the organization’s digital platforms with responsibility for maintaining the website and social media channels to increase traffic and engagement.
- Develop and post approved content that is accurate, relevant, and timely;
- Respond to followers’ messages and posts providing appropriate answers;
- Track and report on digital platform activity offering insights on trends and opportunities;
- Maintain and grow a library of communications assets, including photographs, videos, infographics, pdfs, etc.; and
- Support technical and security maintenance, coordinating troubleshooting and problem-resolution
Affiliate and Program Support
- Collaborate with research, policy, and program staff to develop strategies and execute tactics to increase awareness of and garner interest in FLA programs and projects
- Develop and implement communications plans for program teams and high-profile activities;
- Serve as the point of contact for affiliates’ communications inquiries and respond to requests;
- Provide guidance and assistance on use of the organization’s logo and branding to accredited affiliates;
- Support planning, promotion, and execution of affiliate meetings, webinars, and CEO speaking opportunities; and
- Assist with internal/staff communications projects.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Excellent oral/written communication skills; detail-oriented with strong organizational skills;
- Ability to take initiative, work with minimal guidance, and meet deadlines;
- Diplomatic with colleagues and a desire to work with peers across the organization and with individuals and partner organizations across the globe;
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and the ability to exercise careful judgment;
- Undergraduate degree with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in nonprofit communication, political, or advocacy campaigns, and/or -background in journalism;
- Familiarity with the fundamentals of and hands-on experience with traditional and digital media;
- Demonstrated experience managing projects and production schedules, including working with outside vendors and consultants;
- Interest in cause-related communications and/or corporate social responsibility;
- Proficiency with or demonstrated ability to learn software suites including Microsoft Office, Adobe, web-based CRM and website platforms, and HTML.