Related stories and components
Kenya: Local companies increasing their contribution to charitable initiatives, especially in education sector
Author: Macharia Kamau, Standard Digital (Kenya)
“Benefactors: More institutions set up programmes to support needy students”...
New CEO activism: business leaders are defending rights by raising awareness & leveraging economic power
Author: Aaron K. Chatterji & Michael W. Toffel, Harvard Business Review (USA)
"The New CEO Activists", January 2018...
- Related in-depth areas: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Latest news on human rights defenders Technology and human rights - advances by business
- Related companies: 21st Century Fox Angie's List Apple CNBC (part of Comcast) Disney (see Walt Disney) Hobby Lobby IBM Lyft NBA Netflix New York Times Oracle Salesforce.com Twitter Under Armour
Italy: Shell & Eni to stand trial over role in massive bribery scheme related to $1.3bn oil deal in Nigeria
Canada: New surveys show disconnect between CEOs' perceptions and employees' realities regarding sexual harassment
Author: Josh O’Kane, The Globe and Mail (Canada)
"Canadian executives say sexual harassment isn't an issue at their companies: report", 18 Dec 2017...
Author: James Heskett, Harvard Business School (USA)
"Summing Up: What Are the Limits of CEO Activism?" 6 Sept 2017...
- Related in-depth areas: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms
- Related companies: Medtronic Merck
Author: Kelvin Chan, Associated Press
Apple’s chief executive said Wednesday he’s optimistic some apps that fell afoul of China’s tight internet laws will eventually be restored after being removed earlier this year....
- Related stories: China: Apple pulls down VPN apps that beat censorship from Chinese App Store, company says they do not meet new legal requirements
- Related companies: Apple
Tanzania: Govt. ends hunting deal with Ortelo Business Corporation & launches investigation for alleged corruption; locals had alleged company denied them access to water
Author: Erick Kabendera, The EastAfrican (Kenya)
"Tanzania ends hunting deal near Loliondo with UAE royal family; compromised government official"...
Virgin accused of hypocrisy on modern slavery for planned hospitality projects in Saudi Arabia; company says investment an opportunity to engage govt. on human rights
Author: Anthony Harwood, The Guardian
Sir Richard Branson labelled a hypocrite over support for Saudi tourism scheme, 10 Nov 2017...
- Related companies: Virgin Group