Related stories and components
East Africa: Activists say Africa Gold Refinery could fuel conflict in mineral-rich areas; company denies allegations
Author: Elias Biryabarema, in Reuters
"Ugandan gold refinery to import from conflict-ridden South Sudan, Congo"...
Author: Kenya Bankers Association
"Kenya Green Bond Programme Kicks-off with Strong Backing from Banking Industry and Development Finance Community"...
UK: Anti-Slavery Commissioner expresses disappointment with minimum compliance by companies under Modern Slavery Act
Author: Kevin Hyland OBE, Anti-Slavery Commissioner (UK)
"Letter to CEOs on Section 54 of Modern Slavery Act 1 year on", 4 Apr 2017...
Author: John Fallon, CEO of Pearson, in Fortune (USA)
...While government leaders work towards a political solution, business leaders have a valuable role to play not only through charitable activities, but through real investments. Last September, I visited the Za’atari refugee camp in the north of...
- Related stories: Access to work in Jordan & Lebanon for Syrian refugees, migrant workers & host populations
- Related companies: Chobani LinkedIn (part of Microsoft) Microsoft Pearson
Author: Dominique Pialot, La Tribune (France)
« L’économie et la finance françaises se mobilisent pour le climat », 21 mars 2017...
Kenya: Report alleges telecom firms complicit in violation of privacy by govt. agents; Safaricom comments
Privacy International has published a new investigation 'Track, Capture, Kill: Inside Communications Surveillance and Counterterrorism In Kenya'. The report documents how unregulated state surveillance is facilitating human rights abuses. In response,...
Author: Jena McGregor, The Washington Post (USA)
“The Cost Of Silence: Why More CEOs Are Speaking Out In The Trump Era”, 21 Feb 2017 ...
USA: Facebook CEO's manifesto on what co. can do to tackle fake news, decrease polarization & engage more people in civic process
Author: Olivia Solon, The Guardian
"Mark Zuckerberg pens major Facebook manifesto on how to burst the bubble", 17 Feb 2017...
- Related stories: Positive action by companies to protect civic freedoms
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders Positive initiatives by businesses to protect civic freedoms
- Related companies: Facebook
Leading mining firms' CEOs say US legal changes won't alter their disclosures on social impacts & governance
Author: Ed Stoddard, Reuters (UK)
Mine bosses say transparency will not be clouded by U.S. rule changes, 9 Feb. 2017...
- Related stories: Publish What You Pay urges oil, gas & mining firms to support US law on disclosure of payments to govts. - statements of support by 12 firms US Congress undoes Dodd-Frank regulations on extractive industry revenue transparency USA: Civil society orgs. oppose deregulation efforts, in particular dismantling of Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform & Consumer Protection Act Show moreShow less
- Related companies: Vedanta Resources