Profitability & human rights
Related stories and components
Author: Sam Levin, The Guardian
"Revealed: how Monsanto's 'intelligence center' targeted journalists and activists", 08 Aug 2019...
Brazil: Indigenous leader killed by miners as they make bold incursions into protected areas, following Bolsonaro's encouragement
On 23rd July 2019, a group of heavily armed miners invaded indigenous territory in the North East of Brazil, close to the border with French Guyana, and stabbed indigenous leader, Emyra Wajãpi, to death. Civil society organisations and international...
Author: Global Witness
30 Jul 2019...
- Related stories: Global Witness report shows three defenders were killed each week in 2018, most in relation to mining, agribusiness & hydro
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders Women human rights defenders
- Related companies: Dole Philippines (see Dolefil) Itochu JPMorgan Chase Promoción y Desarrollo Hídricos (PDHSA) (Now Energía y Renovación S.A ) Sterlite Industries (part of Vedanta Resources) Transcanada Vedanta Resources
USA: Wayfair workers to walk out to protest management decision to supply detention centre; CEO rejects their plea
Author: Peter Cohan, Forbes
"3 Reasons To Sell Wayfair On Today's Employee Walkout", 26 Jun 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms
- Related companies: Wayfair
Author: Carrie Mihalcik, Cnet
"Google's Sundar Pichai worries about 'unintended consequences' of regulation" 14 Jun 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and Human Rights: Artificial Intelligence
- Related companies: Alphabet Apple Facebook Google (part of Alphabet)
Author: Mike Ives & Raymond Zhong, NY Times (USA)
"Singapore Plans Law to Fight False News, but Critics Fear Repression", 01 Apr 2019...
Author: Open For Business (USA)
"Channels of Influence: How Companies Can Promote LGBT+ Inclusive Societies", Mar 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Latest news on human rights defenders
- Related companies: Accenture adidas Alibaba.com Amazon.com American Express AT&T Barclays Best Buy BlackRock Brunswick Burberry Danone Deutsche Bank Diageo eBay EY (Ernst & Young) Facebook Godrej & Boyce Google (part of Alphabet) H&M Huawei Technologies IBM Inditex Infosys KPMG LinkedIn (part of Microsoft) Marriott MasterCard McKinsey Microsoft MTN Nokia PayPal (part of eBay) PricewaterhouseCoopers Safaricom Shell Standard Chartered Starbucks Tesco The Boston Consulting Group (BCG) Unilever Virgin Group Walmart Woolworths Group
Novalpina Capital comments on letter regarding its buyout of NSO Group, sued for enabling surveillance of activists
Author: Alex Plough, Yifan Yu & Mariana Valle, Debtwire (UK)
"Israeli Spyware Firm NSO Group Confronts Controversial Past As It Seeks $500 Million Buyout Loan", 25 Feb 2019...
India: Proposed changes to cyber legislation pose risk to free speech, encryption & increase burden on tech cos.
Author: Kurt Wagner, Recode (USA)
"WhatsApp is at risk in India. So are free speech and encryption", 19 Feb 2019...