Compaq (part of HP)
Headquarters in USA
Compaq website: www.compaq.com
Author: Business and Human Rights Documentation Project (B-HRD)
China’s electronics industry exports approximately US $232 billion worth of electronics a year, supplying brand-name companies...Many of the 7.7 million people manufacturing these hi-tech products receive low pay and are unable to achieve an adequate...
Author: Presidencia de Colombia
[Donaciones recibidas hasta la fecha:] Alqueria, Juan Carlos Saldarriaga, Sirioca LTDA, Alimentos Polar Colombia, Arturo Calle, Compaq S.A. [parte de HP], Davivienda - Grupo Bolivar, Cerrejón [parte de Anglo American, Xstrata, BHP Billiton], Tigo,...
- Related stories: Colombia: Ayudas empresariales por catástrofe invernal que ha dejado cientos de muertos y millones de damnificados
- Related companies: Anglo American BHP (formerly BHP Billiton) Carrefour Cerrejón Coal (joint venture Anglo American, BHP & Glencore) Compaq (part of HP) Davivienda HP (Hewlett-Packard) Hyundai Kia Motor Millicom PepsiCo Petrobras Pizano Procter & Gamble Protabaco Sanitas Tigo (part of Millicom) Xstrata (part of Glencore)
Author: Charles Lavery, Sunday Mail [UK]
The child miners of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) risk death to dig for a highly dangerous ore used in mobiles, laptops and games consoles...Coltan smuggling is big business throughout Africa and is a major source of income for warring...
Guiyu, near China's southeastern coast is the centre of an uncontrolled environmental disaster. Here and in several nearby townships, electronic waste, most of it imported, is broken up in small workshops. It's a version of outsourcing that saves...
[DOC] Clean Computers Campaign: Report on Labour Rights in the Computer Industry in China [English summary translation]
Author: Students and Scholars against Corporate Misbehaviour (SACOM)
[Original report in Chinese. Title translation and following summary of the report's key points, provided by Business & Human Rights Resource Centre with authorization by SACOM.]...
- Related stories: Shenzhen, China: NGO survey of working conditions in 13 electronics factories supplying 47 brands finds abuses including child labour, discrimination, excessive overtime
- Related in-depth areas: Marital status discrimination - an introduction
- Related companies: Acer Apple ASRock Asus Bestec Power Electronics BYD Canon Compaq (part of HP) Datang Telecom Technology Dell Delta Electronics Epson (part of Seiko) Evoc Intelligent Technology Fittec International Foxconn (part of Hon Hai) Fujitsu Fujitsu Technology Solutions (part of Fujitsu) Gateway Hon Hai HP (Hewlett-Packard) Huawei Technologies IBM Konka Lenovo LG Electronics (part of LG Corp.) Matsushita (now Panasonic) Microsoft Motorola NEC Nokia Nortel Networks Panasonic Royal Philips Electronics Ruijie Networks (Part of Start Group) Samsung Seiko Sharp Siemens Sony TCL Corporation Toshiba Trigem Tsinghua Tongfang ZTE
Author: Keith Harmon & David Barouski, Z Magazine
War in the Congo is driven by the desire to extract raw materials...Therefore, any analysis of the geopolitics in the Congo requires an understanding of the organized crime perpetrated through multinational businesses...Human Rights Watch...2005 report...
- Related companies: Adastra Minerals Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Archer Daniels Midland Barrick Gold Bechtel Cabot Corporation Carlyle Group Chevron Coca-Cola Compaq (part of HP) Cox Enterprises Dell Ericsson First Quantum Minerals Groupe Forrest International Halliburton HP (Hewlett-Packard) IBM Intel KBR Lazare Kaplan Lucent Technologies (now Alcatel-Lucent) Microsoft Monsanto (part of Bayer) Motorola MPRI (part of L-3 Communications) New United Motor Manufacturing (joint venture General Motors & Toyota) Nokia Phelps Dodge (part of Freeport-McMoRan) Sony
Author: Jim Puckett, Sarah Westervelt, Richard Gutierrez & Yuka Takamiya, Basel Action Network
...[Because] of widespread usage of toxic chemicals in today's high-tech equipment...most...electronic wastes are hazardous wastes... [Much] of the growth in the information technology (IT) sector in developing countries has been fueled by the...
- Related stories: Basel Action Network reports large quantities of electronic waste exported from US & Europe to Africa - potentially toxic chemicals often dumped improperly
- Related companies: Apple Compaq (part of HP) Dell Epson (part of Seiko) Gateway HP (Hewlett-Packard) IBM Intel Matsushita (now Panasonic) Panasonic Pitney Bowes Ricoh Seiko Sharp Sony Toshiba
Author: John Bray, political risk specialist, Control Risks Group
In the worst cases, companies can inadvertently fuel the structural causes of the conflict, undermining prospects for recovery. However, by presenting a vision of a different kind of future, where personal success comes from entrepreneurial initiative...
- Related in-depth areas: Academic Construction & engineering Finance Post-conflict reconstruction and reconciliation
- Related companies: Alcatel (now Alcatel-Lucent) Alstom ANZ Bank Arab Bank AT&T Banco Comercial Portugues Bank Austria Creditanstalt Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ (part of Mitsubishi UFJ) Bechtel BP Cable and Wireless Celtel China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) Compaq (part of HP) Crédit Agricole Crédit Lyonnais (part of Crédit Agricole) Ericsson ExxonMobil France Telecom (now Orange) Halliburton HP (Hewlett-Packard) HVB Hyatt ING JPMorgan Chase KBR Louis Berger Millicom Mitsui MTN National Grid ONGC (Oil & Natural Gas Corporation) Orascom Petronas Portugal Telecom Royal Bank of Canada RZB Group Sanpaolo IMI (part of Intesa Sanpaolo) Scottish and Southern Energy Shell Siemens Stanbic Bank Standard Bank Standard Chartered Talisman (part of Repsol) Telenor Telstra Unocal (part of Chevron) Vodacom
[PDF] Protecting Public Health, Increasing Profits And Promoting Innovation By Benchmarking Corporate Governance of Chemicals in Products
Author: Richard A. Liroff, World Wildlife Fund
[Case studies on Samsung, Fujitsu, Sony, SC Johnson, Nike, Marks & Spencer, Boots, Gerber Products (part of Novartis), Chiquita. Also refers to Apple, Avon, Baxter, Compaq (part of Hewlett-Packard [HP]), Hewlett-Packard (HP), IBM, Abbott...
- Related stories: New benchmarks for addressing product toxicity, even in areas of scientific uncertainty
- Related companies: 3M Abbott Laboratories Apple Avon B&Q (part of Kingfisher) Baxter International Body Shop (part of Natura) Boots (now Alliance Boots) Bristol-Myers Squibb Cardinal Chevron Chiquita Compaq (part of HP) Dow Chemical DuPont Eastman Kodak Fujitsu General Electric Georgia-Pacific (part of Koch Industries) Great Lakes Chemical HP (Hewlett-Packard) IBM IKEA J.C. Penney Kimberly-Clark Kingfisher Marks & Spencer Nike Novartis Samsung SC Johnson Sony Supervalu Tyco Weyerhaeuser