Related stories and components
Author: Africa Centre for Dispute Settlement; Cambio Democrático; Conflict Resolution Group Foundation; Consensus Building Institute; Futuro Sostenible; Corporate Social Responsibility Initiative, Harvard Kennedy School; Meta-Culture; RESOLVE
Leading organizations in the field of dialogue facilitation and dispute resolution have joined together to build the practice of dialogue facilitation and provide better access to independent facilitation services to the communities and companies...
Author: Joost Van Der Zwan, International Alert
Incorporating a conflict-sensitive approach when designing and implementing land policies and land reform is...crucial in order to realise increased equity, greater socio-economic development, food security as well as contribute to peace and stability...
Author: Brian Ganson, Africa Centre for Dispute Settlement, University of Stellenbosch Business School in Geneva Peacebuilding Platform
Practitioners, scholars and institutional actors focus on the predatory aspects of business in fragile environments (“business and conflict”), as well as on the need for private-sector engagement for jobs and security (“business and peace”). They have...
[PDF] Second Regional Forum on the Prevention of Genocide, Arusha, Tanzania, March 3-5, 2010 [response to three questions on Business and Genocide]
Author: Salil Tripathi, Institute for Human Rights and Business (IHRB)
I have been asked to respond to three specific questions with regard to business and genocide:...
- Related stories: Salil Tripathi, Institute for Human Rights & Business presentation to Second Regional Forum on the Prevention of Genocide (Tanzania, 3-5 March)
- Related in-depth areas: Conflict prevention
- Related companies: Shell Unocal (part of Chevron)
Author: UN Alliance of Civilizations, UN Global Compact
Business success today has much to do with a company’s ability to understand and respect the communities in which it operates. This is reflected in cultural initiatives, partnerships with communities, greater emphasis on “conflictsensitive” business...
- Related stories: "Doing Business in a Multicultural World”: UN Global Compact session at Forum of the UN Alliance of Civilizations, Istanbul, 7 April
- Related in-depth areas: Conflict prevention International organizations UN Global Compact work stream on "Business and Peace"
- Related companies: American Express BMW Cisco Systems Coca-Cola Daimler Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Endesa (part of Enel) General Motors HSBC Infosys ManpowerGroup Microsoft Nestlé Newmont Titan Cement TUI Travel Weyerhaeuser
Author: Karen Ballentine, Virginia Haufler, UN Global Compact
Given its importance as a source of investment, the private sector is a potentially valuable partner in conflict prevention and post-conflict reconstruction efforts…The report seeks to achieve four aims: Identify gaps in existing initiatives and...
- Related in-depth areas: Conflict prevention Guidance tools for business International organizations UN Global Compact work stream on "Business and Peace"
- Related companies: De Beers
[PDF] Remarks by SRSG John Ruggie - International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution - Corporate Leadership Award Dinner, New York
Author: John Ruggie
I commend CPR for its many contributions to promoting alternative dispute resolution techniques and tools. And I congratulate Microsoft on receiving the annual leadership award for “its commitment to institutionalizing ADR into its corporate and...
[PDF] full report: "Investing in Stability - Conflict Risk, Environmental Challenges and the Bottom-Line"
Author: United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative (UNEP FI), Intl. Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD), with articles by John Bray (Control Risks Group), Jason Switzer (IISD), Mareike Hussels (UNEP FI), Daniel Wagner (Asian Development Bank), Michael Kelly (KPMG)
[refers to Barclays, Standard Chartered, Lloyd's of London, Gerling, Freeport-McMoRan, International Waters]
- Related stories: Report on role of financial sector in conflict prevention & resolution, by UNEP & Intl. Institute for Sustainable Development
- Related in-depth areas: Conflict prevention Finance International organizations
- Related companies: Barclays Freeport-McMoRan Gerling Group Lloyd's of London Standard Chartered
[PDF] Transnational Corporations in Conflict Prone Zones: Public Policy Responses and a Framework for Action
Author: Jessica Banfield (International Alert), Virginia Haufler (University of Maryland), Damian Lilly (independent consultant)
Private sector activity...is a significant factor influencing the shape and intensity of many conflicts...The basic thesis of the report...is that conflict sensitive business, and its promotion by public policymaking institutions, could become an...
Author: Jane Nelson/ Prince of Wales Business Leaders Forum [now International Business Leaders Forum], International Alert, Council on Economic Priorities
The private sector…has a role in contributing – both directly and indirectly – to the prevention and resolution of violent conflict…The purpose of this report is to review these issues and linkages and to provide a framework for understanding both the...