Torture & ill-treatment
Related stories and components
Organisers of world's largest arms fair in London accused of failing to stop promotion of equipment 'used in torture' (UK)
Author: Cahal Milmo, Independent (UK)
The organisers of one of the world’s largest arms fairs in London were...accused of failing to crack down on the sale of equipment that could could be used in torture after two exhibitors were found to be illegally marketing shackles and electric stun...
Author: Vernon Silver & Ben Elgin, Bloomberg
[scroll down for statement by Nokia Siemens Networks] Bahraini jailers armed with stiff rubber hoses beat the 39-year-old school administrator and human rights activist...[then] Al Khanjar…[was] question[ed] by a[n]…officer armed with…transcripts of...
- Related stories: Bahrain: Surveillance software, provided by Nokia Siemens Networks & Trovicor, allegedly used to obtain information during interrogation & torture of dissidents - includes company comments
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on conflict & peace Technology and telecommunication Torture & ill-treatment
- Related companies: Facebook Nokia Nokia Networks (part of Nokia) Siemens TeleStrategies
Author: James Vicini, Reuters
A federal appeals court on Friday dismissed a lawsuit against two U.S. defense contractors by Iraqi torture victims, saying the companies had immunity as government contractors... The plaintiffs sued CACI International Inc, which provided interrogators...
- Related stories: Abu Ghraib lawsuits against CACI, Titan (now L-3) US appeals court dismisses lawsuit against contractors CACI & Titan over Abu Ghraib abuses
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News Private military & security companies Torture & ill-treatment
- Related companies: CACI L-3 Communications L-3 Titan (part of L-3 Communications)
Los embotelladores colombianos de Coca-Cola no pueden ser vinculados con una conspiración con grupos paramilitares locales para sacar de las plantas a los miembros de sindicatos mediante la violencia y torturas, dictaminó una corte federal de...
- Related stories: Lawsuit in USA against Coca-Cola over violence against union leaders in Colombia - appeals court affirms lower court's dismissal Perfil de demanda judicial contra Coca-Cola por actividades en Colombia
- Related in-depth areas: Tortura y malos tratos
- Related companies: Coca-Cola
Author: Joe Guy Collier, Atlanta Journal-Constitution [USA]
A federal appeals court in Atlanta upheld Tuesday the ruling of a lower court that found no connection between Coca-Cola Co. or its Colombian bottlers in the deaths and torture of union leaders in the South American nation.
- Related stories: Coca-Cola lawsuit (re Colombia) Lawsuit in USA against Coca-Cola over violence against union leaders in Colombia - appeals court affirms lower court's dismissal
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News Torture & ill-treatment
- Related companies: Coca-Cola
Author: Human Rights Watch
Zimbabwe's armed forces are engaging in the forced labor of children and adults, and are torturing and beating local villagers on the diamond fields of Marange district in eastern Zimbabwe...Human Rights Watch called on the Kimberley Process...
- Related stories: Zimbabwe's diamond fields: Human Rights Watch reports forced labour, torture, military massacres
- Related in-depth areas: Killings, threats & other abuses NGO Torture & ill-treatment
Author: Tovah Lazaroff, Jerusalem Post
...[Israel] is under period review this year by the [UN Committee Against Torture], which has received reports on Israeli violations of the UN Convention Against Torture from at least eight NGOs, including…Physicians for Human Rights and Amnesty...
- Related in-depth areas: Torture & ill-treatment
Court rules Abu Ghraib torture victims can sue contractor CACI, according to legal team for former detainees [USA]
Author: Center for Constitutional Rights [USA]
A Virginia federal court ruled Wednesday that four former Abu Ghraib detainees who were tortured and later released without charge can sue U.S. military contractor CACI International, according to their U.S. legal team. [The] U.S. District Judge…denied...
La justice américaine a tranché en défaveur du géant pétrolier ExxonMobil, poursuivi par des civils indonésiens pour complicité présumée dans des cas de tortures et de meurtres commis par des soldats indonésiens qui étaient chargés de la sécurité de...
Author: [email protected]
Is selling police equipment to a notoriously brutal government tantamount to assisting in torture? William Schulz [former executive director of Amnesty International] believes that it can be…Firms sometimes do business directly with repressive regimes...