UN Global Compact work stream on "Business and Peace"
The United Nations Global Compact has developed a work stream on business and peace providing a forum for dialogue on corporate contribution to conflict prevention, peace and development. The business and peace work stream is an integral part of the UN Global Compact, which is a voluntary policy initiative for business on human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption.
The work stream offers UN Global Compact participants a platform for discussions about practical solutions and policy developments about business and peace. As such, the initiative organises meetings and events, and drafts reports.
Among the ongoing projects of the initiative is a consultation process to help clarify what constitutes responsible investment in conflict-affected countries and a good practice guide which will showcase how companies from different sectors are contributing to peace and development in difficult operating environments around the world.
Its website also links to resources, other guidance materials and organizations in this field.
For reports & articles on the UN Global Compact, see the Resource Centre’s general section on the UN Global Compact
Reports and commentaries
- Guidance on Responsible Business in Conflict-Affected and High-Risk Areas: A Resource for Companies and Investors
United Nations Global Compact, Principles for Responsible Investment, Jun 2010
- Doing business while advancing peace and development
United Nations Global Compact, Jun 2010
- Sudan Workshop Looks at Business and Investment in Conflict-Affected Countries
UN Global Compact, 2 Mar 2010
- Sustaining Business and Peace: A Resource Pack on Corporate Responsibility for Small and Medium Enterprises [Sri Lanka]
International Alert, UN Global Compact, Jun 2009
- Doing Business in a Multi-Cultural World: Challenges and Opportunities
UN Alliance of Civilization, UN Global Compact, May 2009
- Sir Mark Moody-Stuart replies to NGO letter to UN Global Compact
UN Global Compact, 10 Feb 2009
- Enabling Economies of Peace: Public Policy For Conflict-Sensitive Business
Karen Ballentine, Virginia Haufler commissioned by the UN Global Compact, Feb 2009
- NGOs to further challenge UN Global Compact to uphold its “Integrity Measures”
Investors against Genocide, SOMO, 19 Jan 2009
- Global Compact Business Guide for Conflict Impact Assessment and Risk Management
UN Global Compact, Jun 2002
- UN Global Compact Case Studies of Multistakeholder Partnership: Policy Dialogue on Business in Zones of Conflict
Virginia Haufler (ed.), Apr 2002
Related stories and components
Responsible Business in High-Risk Areas and Challenging Operating Environments: Notes from the conference held on 23 March 2011 at Old Mutual, London EC4, organised by the UN Global Compact UK Network, the UN PRI Initiative and Engi
Author: Global Compact Network UK, UN PRI, Engi
The consequences of misjudged strategies in [the context of risks related to conflict] can be hugely expensive in security, litigation and capital costs, reputation losses and workforce issues. With the right advice, however, practical policies can be...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on conflict & peace UN Global Compact work stream on "Business and Peace"
[PDF] Guidance on Responsible Business in Conflict-Affected and High-risk Areas: A Resource for Companies and Investors
Author: United Nations Global Compact, Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI)
[This publication] seeks to provide a common reference point for constructive dialogue between companies and investors...[and] to complement applicable national and international laws by promoting international good practice…[T]he private sector can...
Author: United Nations Global Compact
Conflict affects a society at all levels…business has an interest in promoting peace and development, two main objectives of the United Nations…what is the scope of the private sector’s contribution in conflict prevention, post-conflict reconstruction...
- Related stories: United Nations Global Compact: "Guide on How to Develop a Human Rights Policy"
- Related in-depth areas: Guidance tools for business International organizations Latest news on conflict & peace Post-conflict reconstruction and reconciliation Tools & Guidance UN Global Compact work stream on "Business and Peace"
- Related companies: Arcelor Mittal BP Coca-Cola Dick Smith Foods Komatsu Newmont Petrobras PricewaterhouseCoopers RUSAL Safaricom Satemwa Sumitomo Chemical (part of Sumitomo Group) Sumitomo Group Talisman
Author: UN Global Compact
The first joint UN Global Compact – Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) event was convened in Khartoum on 1-2 March 2010 in collaboration with the Global Compact Local Network Sudan. The event focused on responsible business and investment in...
- Related in-depth areas: International organizations Sudan UN Global Compact work stream on "Business and Peace"
Author: UN Alliance of Civilizations, UN Global Compact
Business success today has much to do with a company’s ability to understand and respect the communities in which it operates. This is reflected in cultural initiatives, partnerships with communities, greater emphasis on “conflictsensitive” business...
- Related stories: "Doing Business in a Multicultural World”: UN Global Compact session at Forum of the UN Alliance of Civilizations, Istanbul, 7 April
- Related in-depth areas: Conflict prevention International organizations UN Global Compact work stream on "Business and Peace"
- Related companies: American Express BMW Cisco Systems Coca-Cola Daimler Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Endesa (part of Enel) General Motors HSBC Infosys ManpowerGroup Microsoft Nestlé Newmont Titan Cement TUI Travel Weyerhaeuser
Author: Mark Moody-Stuart, UN Global Compact
We are all very concerned about the tragic humanitarian situation in Sudan and in other conflict affected countries around the world. For this reason, consistent with its mandate as a learning and dialogue initiative, the United Nations Global Compact...
- Related in-depth areas: International organizations UN Global Compact work stream on "Business and Peace"
- Related companies: China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) PetroChina
Author: Karen Ballentine, Virginia Haufler, UN Global Compact
Given its importance as a source of investment, the private sector is a potentially valuable partner in conflict prevention and post-conflict reconstruction efforts…The report seeks to achieve four aims: Identify gaps in existing initiatives and...
- Related in-depth areas: Conflict prevention Guidance tools for business International organizations UN Global Compact work stream on "Business and Peace"
- Related companies: De Beers
Author: Investors Against Genocide & SOMO
Following the refusal by the UN Global Compact (UNGC) to accept and act on a formal complaint of "systematic or egregious abuse" of the Global Compact's overall aims and principles by PetroChina, a UNGC participant, the NGOs that submitted the...
- Related stories: 80 NGOs support complaint submitted to UN Global Compact against PetroChina over its involvement in Sudan
- Related in-depth areas: NGO UN Global Compact work stream on "Business and Peace"
- Related companies: PetroChina
[PDF] Sustaining Business and Peace: A Resource Pack on Corporate Responsibility for Small and Medium Enterprises [Sri Lanka]
Author: Radhika Hettiarachchi, Lucy Holdaway, Canan Gündüz, International Alert
In Sri Lanka there are various challenges to the survival and growth of SMEs and their wider development. A key stumbling block was the violent conflict that affected the country over the last three decades...Being more geographically dispersed than...
Author: UN Global Compact
The goal of this Business Guide for Conflict Impact Assessment and Risk Management is to aid companies in developing strategies that minimize the negative effects and maximize the positive effects of investing in areas of conflict or potential...