UN Global Compact work stream on "Business and Peace"
The United Nations Global Compact has developed a work stream on business and peace providing a forum for dialogue on corporate contribution to conflict prevention, peace and development. The business and peace work stream is an integral part of the UN Global Compact, which is a voluntary policy initiative for business on human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption.
The work stream offers UN Global Compact participants a platform for discussions about practical solutions and policy developments about business and peace. As such, the initiative organises meetings and events, and drafts reports.
Among the ongoing projects of the initiative is a consultation process to help clarify what constitutes responsible investment in conflict-affected countries and a good practice guide which will showcase how companies from different sectors are contributing to peace and development in difficult operating environments around the world.
Its website also links to resources, other guidance materials and organizations in this field.
For reports & articles on the UN Global Compact, see the Resource Centre’s general section on the UN Global Compact
Reports and commentaries
- Guidance on Responsible Business in Conflict-Affected and High-Risk Areas: A Resource for Companies and Investors
United Nations Global Compact, Principles for Responsible Investment, Jun 2010
- Doing business while advancing peace and development
United Nations Global Compact, Jun 2010
- Sudan Workshop Looks at Business and Investment in Conflict-Affected Countries
UN Global Compact, 2 Mar 2010
- Sustaining Business and Peace: A Resource Pack on Corporate Responsibility for Small and Medium Enterprises [Sri Lanka]
International Alert, UN Global Compact, Jun 2009
- Doing Business in a Multi-Cultural World: Challenges and Opportunities
UN Alliance of Civilization, UN Global Compact, May 2009
- Sir Mark Moody-Stuart replies to NGO letter to UN Global Compact
UN Global Compact, 10 Feb 2009
- Enabling Economies of Peace: Public Policy For Conflict-Sensitive Business
Karen Ballentine, Virginia Haufler commissioned by the UN Global Compact, Feb 2009
- NGOs to further challenge UN Global Compact to uphold its “Integrity Measures”
Investors against Genocide, SOMO, 19 Jan 2009
- Global Compact Business Guide for Conflict Impact Assessment and Risk Management
UN Global Compact, Jun 2002
- UN Global Compact Case Studies of Multistakeholder Partnership: Policy Dialogue on Business in Zones of Conflict
Virginia Haufler (ed.), Apr 2002
Related stories and components
[PDF] UN Global Compact Case Studies of Multistakeholder Partnership: Policy Dialogue on Business in Zones of Conflict
Author: edited by Virginia Haufler, University of Maryland, on U.N. Global Compact website
Members of the UN Global Compact Policy Dialogue on Business in Zones of Conflict participate in a number of multistakeholder partnerships that seek to reduce or prevent violent conflict, manage the effects of conflict, or rebuild a country previously...
- Related in-depth areas: Academic Latest news on conflict & peace UN Global Compact work stream on "Business and Peace"
- Related companies: Chevron ExxonMobil