Consultant, EU & Responsible Mineral Sourcing at Global Witness
Purpose of the consultancy:
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced Consultant who will provide expert support and advice for Global Witness’ campaign to promote strong legislative action by the EU in response to links between the trade in minerals, conflict, and human rights abuses. The work will be focused on the European Union, its Member States, and other relevant Europe-based multilateral organisations with policies relevant to mineral supply chains. This position is for an established and ongoing programme of research and advocacy.
The Consultant’s tasks will include:
- Play a key role in developing and implementing GW’s strategy for strengthening the EU’s proposed “conflict minerals” legislation during the final phase of the legislative process;
- Support and coordinate the work of a coalition of EU and non-EU civil society organisations working towards this goal;
- Facilitate and, where appropriate, engage in advocacy at the European Parliament, the Council and the Commission, and in key Member States, and maintain close contact with key advocacy contacts to identify key political developments and opportunities;
- Research, review, and draft policy and advocacy material related to the campaign and GW’s broader aim of promoting the responsible sourcing of mineral resources.
- Understanding and experience of working with EU institutions and/or Member State governments;
- Experience carrying out advocacy with governments and institutions with demonstrated impact;
- Ability to understand and effectively communicate complex policy issues to a range of audiences and identify opportunities for effective advocacy;
- Dynamic, self-motivated and outward facing individual able to engage with a wide range of stakeholders and be persuasive in public and private policy making;
- Organisational and administrative skills that demonstrate the ability to work efficiently and autonomously, as well as part of teams and coalition.
- Experience developing and implementing advocacy and campaign strategies;
- Understanding and experience of international policies relevant to the governance of natural resources;
- Experience working on business and human rights, supply chain issues or natural resource governance;
- Experience working in coalitions and directly with other NGOs;
- Proficiency in French.
Job title: Consultant, EU & Responsible Mineral Sourcing
Location: London or Brussels
Closing date: Rolling applications