Corporate Advisor, South at Business in the Community
Business in the Community is a business-led charity committed to shaping a new contract between business and society. We have over 30 years’ experience forging better relationships between business and society, driven by a unique collaboration of business leaders. We stimulate action by challenging and supporting thousands of businesses to create a fairer society and a more sustainable future - through our local, national and international campaigns.
Business in the Community is one of The Prince’s Charities, a group of not-for-profit organisations of which The Prince of Wales is president.
Context of role
BITC's members range from global FTSE100 companies to small businesses connected deeply to their local communities. In total there are currently 830 companies in membership. Led by the Membership Director, who sits on BITC’s Management Team, the Membership team sits at the heart of BITC, working to understand our members’ business challenges and needs, and liaising with other departments at BITC to ensure we provide first class strategic advice to our members.
The Membership Team is split into ‘North’ and ‘South’. Membership South holds accountability for the strategy, management and smooth running of all corporate members in London, the East of England and South East England.
Each Corporate Adviser in the Membership Team contributes to the recruitment, retention and engagement of BITC members through responsibility for a personal portfolio of member companies, and has clear annual account management and recruitment targets.
Support and guidance in the role is available from the Membership Director, Head of Membership, the Senior Corporate Advisers and their staff team, other team members, the central Communications team and from the CEO’s office.
To provide excellent account and relationship management; to provide strategic advice on responsible business; to recruit, engage and retain member companies in order to achieve BITC’s mission and objectives. Ultimately it is about connecting companies to action.
Main Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Manage the relationship with a portfolio of existing member companies
- Understand member companies’ businesses, their challenges and opportunities, and advise them on how best to improve their approach to responsible business
- Recruit and induct new member companies into BITC membership
- Understand the needs of member companies and connect them to BITC tools, resources, programmes, thought leadership and activity
- Ensure that all information is accurate and up to date for your portfolio of companies
- Develop and sustain strong and effective internal relationship with all campaign, regional and support functions
- Manage and report upon relationship risk and seek to retain member companies at all times
Key Performance Areas and Measures:
- The creation and implementation of effective account management procedures which will deliver the highest standards of membership satisfaction. This includes implementing procedures on risk management, timely membership renewals and payments, and tracking engagement.
- The recruitment and induction of new members.
- The successful raising of engagement levels across a portfolio of companies.
- The implementation of effective risk-management and retention strategies.
- Ensure that health and safety requirements are met in the areas for which the jobholder is responsible.
- The post holder may be required to carry out other duties that are reasonably to be considered as within the scope and purpose of the job and the aptitudes of the job holder.
This job description reflects the current requirements of the post. As duties and responsibilities change and develop due to changes in organisational and other circumstances, so the actual duties and responsibilities will vary from the particulars of this job description.
- Good knowledge of key issues affecting business and society
- Comprehensive knowledge of the corporate responsibility agenda and emerging trends
- Knowledge of BITC products and services
- Track record of successful account management and/or relationship management
- Managing or advising on CSR to a significant level
- Business Development
- Working in a creative environment
- Private sector experience desirable
- Confidence in engaging with senior stakeholders
- Relationship building and networking
- Negotiating and influencing
- Ability to understand priorities of client companies
- Communication skills to operate credibly at all levels in private and community sector
- Excellent organisation, planning, prioritising and time management
- Excellent presentation skills
- Ability to work well within a team within a complex set of partnerships, both internally, as part of a national organisation and externally with companies and other agencies
- Advanced user of MS Office applications
- Knowledge of Salesforce CRM system desirable
- Recognise the implications of working with a charity
- Demonstrate flexibility & open mindedness
- Act in accordance with Business in the Community’s values:
- Pioneering - with originality & creativity to meet company needs
- Flexible to travel & work in different locations
- Ability to attend occasional evening functions and early mornings meetings organised by BITC, its members and partner organisations
Job title: Corporate Advisor, South
Salary: £32,000 - £35,000 per annum
Contract: Full time, permanent
Closing date: 30th January 2015