COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak
Since late 2019, an outbreak of the viral disease COVID-19 (commonly referred to as Coronavirus) - first identified in Wuhan, China - has spread across the globe, impacting hundreds of thousands of people. On 11 March 2020, the World Health Organization declared the outbreak had reached the level of a global pandemic.
Besides the health implications of the disease, which has a mortality rate in excess of 3% according to the World Health Organization, the outbreak has also been accompanied by waves of misinformation, fears regarding increased government surveillance, factory shutdowns as disruption ripples back up supply chains and fears for the protection of gig economy workers. The International Labour Organization initially estimated that up to 25 million jobs could be lost worldwide due to the pandemic, pushing millions of people into unemployment, underemployment and working poverty. It has since revised its estimate to 195 million job losses globally.
This In Depth Area will be updated with the latest news on the implications of the outbreak for business and human rights. Based on emerging themes of the crisis, we will also update the below sub-sections of this In Depth Area as the situation continues to unfold.
- 📄 COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Government & business response
- 📄 COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Supply chain workers
- 📄 COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Migrant workers
- 📄 COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Human rights defenders & civic freedoms
- 📄 COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Surveillance, censorship & privacy
Related stories and components
Author: El Tiempo
“Colectivo José Alvear Restrepo preocupado por donaciones 'chatarra'” – 14 de julio de 2020...
Author: El Tiempo
“La tortura psicológica de los tripulantes de los cruceros” – 19 de julio de 2020...
“Plantean un marco legislativo necesario para proteger a los trabajadores en toda la cadena de suministro en materia de DDHH” – 16 de julio de 2020...
Author: Mexico News Daily
"Among companies, Pemex leads internationally in coronavirus deaths", 16th July 2020...
- Related in-depth areas: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Government & business response
- Related companies: Pemex
Author: The Real News Network
…Peru’s lawmakers are weighing a vote on crucial legislation, which, if passed, will declare large areas of pristine Amazon rainforest off limits to drilling and mining projects—a clear showdown between Big Oil and corporate mining interests and the...
Author: Ojo Público (Perú)
“Ceses laborales en cadena de comida rápida, minera y universidad del grupo Hochschild” – 15 de julio de 2020...
Author: Max Walden, ABC News
"Rubber gloves entering Australia from Malaysia could be linked to forced labour, with US restricting imports", 21 July 2020...
- Related stories: Malaysia: Medical glove manufacturers see surge in orders due to COVID-19, amid forced labour concerns Malaysia: Top Glove denies migrant workers producing PPE are exposed to abusive labour practices & COVID-19 risk; Incl. responses from auditing firms
- Related in-depth areas: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak Establishing a Modern Slavery Act in Australia
- Related companies: Top Glove
China: Worker protests on the rise as businesses struggle with new economic reality created by COVID-19 pandemic
Author: China Labour Bulletin (Hong Kong)
“Worker protests on the rise in June as wage arrears proliferate”, 15 July 2020...
- Related stories: Impacts of COVID-19 on supply chain workers in the electronics sector
- Related in-depth areas: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak COVID-19 and workers in food and beverage supply chains
- Related companies: Fujifilm Holdings Corporation (formerly Fuji Photo Film)
Author: Modern Democracy
14 July 2020...
- Related in-depth areas: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak
Czechia: Ryanair accused of union-busting as three employees dismissed after informing management of newly formed cabin crew union
Ryanair has been accused of union-busting after the dismissal of three union leaders - Matteo Pizzolato, Andrea Schiraldi, Izhar Arcos Poveda – by Buzz (part of Ryanair Group) on 29 May 2020 in Czechia. According to public reports, the three union...