Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in South Africa
De Beers is jointly owned by Anglo American, Central Holdings (which represents the Oppenheimer family) and the Government of Botswana.
Supporter of Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
15 case studies of businesses addressing human rights impacts while contributing to Sustainable Development Goals
Author: Shift, World Business Council for Sustainable Development
"The Human Rights Opportunity 15 real-life cases of how business is contributing to the Sustainable Development Goals by putting people first", ...
Author: Ardea International
This report focuses on the jewellery sector. We have included eight of the major jewellers in the UK, namely the Signet Group (and the companies under its control, as listed in the table in this report), Tiffany & Co., Goldsmiths, Links, F. Hinds,...
- Related in-depth areas: Modern slavery
- Related companies: Boodle & Dunthorne Cartier (part of Richemont) De Beers Diarough Ernest Jones (part of Signet) Goldsmiths H.Samuel (part of Signet) Kay Jewelers (part of Signet) Leslie Davis (part of Signet) Newmont Richemont Rio Tinto Rosy Blue Signet Tiffany Zale (part of Signet)
Botswana: NGOs say De Beers, govt. and ruling party in "opaque" dealings that fuel tax evasion by the conglomerate - includes company responce
The Open Society Initiative for Southern Africa (OSISA), Southern Africa Resource Watch (SARW), and the African Network of Centers for Investigative Reporting (ANCIR) produced a research report; "Botswana's Diamond Deception). The report says critical...
Author: De Beers group
De Beers Group publishes detailed financial information about Debswana both at the full year and half year via Anglo American plc, De Beers’ parent company. This includes production volume (split by mine), price per carat, unit cost...available on...
- Related stories: Botswana: NGOs say De Beers, govt. and ruling party in "opaque" dealings that fuel tax evasion by the conglomerate - includes company response
- This is a response from the following companies: De Beers Debswana (joint venture De Beers & Botswana Govt.)
Namibia: Former De Beers Marine employee granted permission to sue company as a pauper; company appeals court decision
Author: Werner Menges, The Namibian (Namibia)
"Diamond giant appeals over 'pauper' label", 7 July 2016...
Author: Laure Broulard, RFI
"Marché du diamant: quelles retombées économiques pour les pays africains?", 29 juin 2016...
Author: Janet H. Cho, Plain Dealer (USA)
"Signet Jewelers adopts policy to promote more openness and trust in the diamond supply chain", Feb 16, 2016...
So. Africa: New report presents insights from leading NGOs, analysts on how to improve transparency, accountability in the extractive sector
Author: Open Society Foundation (So. Africa)
'In good company? conversations around transparency and accountability in South Africa's extractive sector', 3 Nov 2015:…[O]ver three years ago, 34 mine workers were killed at Marikana…following a stand-off with…Police and as a direct result of a wage...
Africa: Academic urges economic justice actors to fight both illegal and licit financial flows, adopt more nuanced approach
Author: Patrick Bond, University of Kwazulu Natal in Pambazuka News (Africa)
'Retreat of foreign investment from Africa means less looting', 2 Sep 2015:…[A] Zimbabwe NGO conference…was dedicated to fighting illegal capital flight from across the African continent…[Will] the region’s…economic-justice NGOs take the next step and...
- Related companies: Anglo American Barclays BHP Billiton British American Tobacco De Beers Dimension Data FirstRand Group Investec Liberty Life Lonmin Mondi (part of Anglo American) MTN Naspers Group Nedbank Old Mutual SABMiller (part of Anheuser-Busch InBev) Sasol Standard Bank Vale Vedanta Resources Vodacom