Deputy Director of Media & Communications, English Language Program at China Development Brief
China Development Brief (CDB) is looking for a Deputy Director of Media and Communications to manage its English-language program. This is a unique opportunity for someone interested in working towards the development of China’s emerging civil society. It is a full-time position at CDB’s office in Beijing. Native speaker-level English is required.
China Development Brief was founded in 1996 and registered in 2003 as the Beijing Civil Society Development Research Center. As a Chinese non-profit organization, we serve as a bilingual hub providing media and communication, research and consulting, and services and networking to NGOs, foundations, development practitioners, businesses, researchers, and policy makers. Our mission is to empower China`s civil society through expert observation and analysis, and by facilitating the free flow of resources and views for NGOs.
The program director will play an important role in managing CDB’s existing projects and providing support for developing new projects. He/she will report to CDB’s media & communication director and executive director. She/he will also be responsible for coordinating one permanent member of staff as well as interns and volunteers.
Location: Beijing, China.
Starting Date: Fall/Autumn 2015. Exact date to be confirmed
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintaining CDB’s English-language website (www.chinadevelopmentbrief.cn), social media channels and e-newsletter.
- Managing the regular translation and editing of Chinese-language news and articles, and writing original articles and reports on Chinas civil society sector.
- Translating and editing other Chinese-language and English-language materials when needed.
- Working with CDB’s staff to implement and/or manage other research projects and program activities.
- Managing projects and grants including proposal development, project implementation, reports, etc. as required by our funders.
- Managing CDB’s English-language interns and volunteers.
- University degree/postgraduate degree preferred.
- Bilingual (native-level English and strong Chinese language skills)
- Excellent writing skills
- A team player who is collegial, culturally sensitive, and patient and able to work closely with Chinese staff
- Knowledge of and commitment to China’s NGO sector
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Previous volunteer and management experience in an NGO a plus
- Native English speaker preferred but also open for Chinese applicants.
Salary range is 10,000-12,000 RMB per month depending on educational level and experience. We can assist in applying for a Chinese work visa.
How to Apply:
Job title: Deputy Director of Media & Communications, English Language Program
Contract: Permanent, full time
Closing date: Open until filled