Director, Healthcare at BSR
BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than 250 member companies to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. We are proud to say that we have a team of some of the most talented and motivated people in the industry working in our global offices in Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
Visit www.bsr.org for more information about BSR's more than 20 years of leadership in sustainability.
The Director, Healthcare will have primary responsibility for leading and growing BSR’s work with pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device companies globally. This person will be part of BSR’s Advisory Services team, providing sector leadership to the 20+ accounts in BSR’s global healthcare practice.
The Director will lead business development activities and oversee project execution for the sector’s consulting and membership activities. Consulting projects and membership engagement activities are specifically scoped to drive BSR’s mission and create social and/or environmental impacts. As such, projects typically cut across two major themes: 1) access to medicines and global health partnerships, 2) corporate responsibility strategy, reporting and stakeholder engagement.
Most projects are several months long and individually tailored for an individual client’s needs/objectives. There are also multi-company, multi-year collaborations wherein the Director will be responsible for providing overarching strategy, direction and company engagement to these important long-standing initiatives.
The Director will have final accountability for developing/managing the sector’s annual budget, driving successful business development and membership activities, and overseeing many simultaneous initiatives and corresponding project teams to ultimately achieve yearly budget, demonstrate progress against BSR’s mission and ensure value creation with BSR members.
The position is full-time and will be based in New York.
- Business Development: The Director will have primary responsibility for driving revenue generation and managing complex relationships with 20+ accounts. The director will play a leading role in identifying and developing new consulting engagements, with pro-active shaping/scoping of potential new projects and with responsive delivery of proposals aligned with issued RFPs. The Director will draw from a broad and established set of BSR tools to facilitate these business development activities.
- Consulting / Project Directorship: The Director will provide oversight—and often hands-on support—for the delivery of best-in-class consulting services to member and non-member companies in the Healthcare sector. Areas of project focus may include: access to healthcare, global health partnerships, corporate responsibility strategy development / materiality, reporting / transparency, stakeholder engagement, human rights, and responsible supply chain management. The Director will typically oversee 7-10 ongoing initiatives & projects at any one time, working actively with project teams and providing thought partnership to project managers. The Director will have significant client engagement roles at critical project junctures—often at project kick-off, mid-point milestones and project close.
- Member Services: The Director will have responsibility for ensuring BSR’s healthcare members receive significant value, year over year, from their continued membership in BSR. Activities here may include: development of thought pieces / research briefs; providing thought partnership to members on key corporate responsibility and global health issues / challenges; creating opportunities for BSR members to engage with other BSR experts, external stakeholders and/or other companies; regular engagement with members via phone and/or in-person in order to provide a clear channel for sharing BSR’s thought leadership and providing member value
- Internal Practice Management: The Director will represent the Healthcare sector at internal management meetings, strategy discussions and budget planning. The Director will lead and develop BSR’s global healthcare team, as well as assist in supervising and developing the professional capabilities of other members of BSR’s consulting and research teams.
- External Representation: The Director will represent both BSR and the Healthcare practice to external audiences by: presenting at industry conferences; writing publications; forming beneficial external partnerships; and creating other opportunities to raise the profile of BSR more broadly.
- The Director may also be required to provide services to companies in other sectors according to business needs.
Note: ONLY candidates with these specific requirements will be considered:
- Master’s degree in social sciences, global health, economics, public policy, law or other relevant discipline required.
- Track record of success in business development, client/relationship management and exercising influence with senior leaders
- Demonstration of entrepreneurial instincts, ability to learn rapidly and broadly, capacity to quickly adapt
- Significant business experience including: developing and maintaining senior-level client relationships; pursuing and creating business opportunities; overseeing multiple projects under tight deadlines; developing/ mentoring project teams; achieving and managing an ambitious yearly budget; and developing sector strategy aligned with BSR’s overarching organizational strategy
- Significant experience working with, or in, the pharmaceutical, biotechnology or medical device sector
- Deep knowledge and experience in key content areas, especially: global health, access to healthcare, strategy development and stakeholder engagement
- Knowledge and experience related to business processes such as strategic planning, organizational development, team development, budget management etc.
- Proven leadership and people skills, including a demonstrated ability to mentor the skills and effectiveness of other team members across geographies and cultures.
- Outstanding verbal, written, and facilitation skills.
- Willingness to undertake business travel (~ 25% time).
- Capacity to work and thrive in a growing, fast-paced entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative environment.
- High ethical standards and commitment to BSR core values of Leadership, Respect and Integrity.
BSR is committed to developing an inclusive work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and skill and is valued in support of individual performance and potential, as well as our business goals and mission.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
BSR offers an outstanding benefits package, including health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, a 401k savings plan, paid time off (PTO), sick and other family friendly leaves, flexible hours, paid time off for volunteer activities and a casual atmosphere. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with skill, knowledge and experience level and the constraints of a non-profit business organization.