Director, Human Rights at BSR
BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than 250 member companies to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. We are proud to say that we have a team of some of the most talented and motivated people in the industry working in our global offices in Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
Visit www.bsr.org for more information about BSR's more than 20 years of leadership in sustainability.
Over the past several years BSR has built a strong foundation in the area of business and human rights that combines thought leadership with the capacity to drive successful field consulting engagements as well as collaborative initiatives focused on developing and implementing leading policies and practices in in a wide range of industries and geographies.
The Director, Human Rights will have primary responsibility for building on this foundation to create a world-class practice serving BSR’s member companies as well as supporting the development of collaborative initiatives with key partners from civil society, the public sector, and the philanthropic community. This person will be part of BSR’s Advisory Services team, which includes industry and regional teams, and will collaborate closely with our Partnership Development and Research team in the growth of a forward-looking, front-line research pipeline that promotes business integration and mainstreaming of human rights and facilitates partnerships between the private sector and key stakeholders.
The Human Rights Director will provide leadership on 1) the creation of world class IP, tools and approaches, 2) business development activities, and 3) project execution in the Human Rights area. Company consulting projects, collaborations, and multi-stakeholder efforts are all scoped to drive BSR’s mission and create positive social and/or environmental impacts. Importantly, BSR sees human rights as a critical component of the two strategic themes that guide a large portion of our work: Business in a Climate Constrained World, and Business Leadership for an Inclusive Economy.
The Director will have final accountability for developing/managing an overall Human Rights strategy and plan, driving successful business development, and overseeing many simultaneous initiatives and corresponding project teams to ultimately achieve yearly impact and financial objectives, demonstrate progress against BSR’s mission and ensure value creation with BSR members and other partners.
The position is full-time and will be based in one of BSR’s global offices, preferably New York or Paris.
- Business and Project Development: The Director will have primary responsibility for driving revenue generation in partnership with Advisory Services industry and regional team leaders, as well as with our Partnership Development and research team. The director will play a leading role in identifying and developing new Human Rights related consulting offerings and engagements, as well with pro-active shaping/scoping of potential new collaborative and grant-funded initiatives. The Director will draw from an established set of BSR tools and cases to facilitate these business development activities, while continuing to innovate and evolve our approach.
- Consulting / Project Directorship: The Director will provide oversight—and often hands-on support—for the delivery of best-in-class consulting services to companies, and also high-impact collaborations with other key stakeholders. Areas of project focus may include: human rights impact assessments, policy and strategy development, stakeholder engagement, and the creation of new collaborative initiatives in the human rights space. The Director will typically oversee 7-10 ongoing initiatives & projects at any one time, working actively with project teams and providing thought partnership to project managers
- Thought Leadership and External Representation: The Director will represent both BSR and our Human Rights efforts to external audiences by: presenting at industry conferences; writing publications; forming beneficial external partnerships; developing and maintaining strong relationships with key stakeholders, and creating other opportunities to raise the profile of BSR more broadly.
- Internal Management: The Director will represent the Human Rights practice area at internal management meetings, strategy discussions and budget planning. The Director will lead and develop BSR’s global Human Rights team, as well as assist in supervising and developing the professional capabilities of other members of BSR’s consulting and research teams.
Note: ONLY candidates with these specific requirements will be considered:
- Qualified law degree, i.e., J.D., LLM, and/or other relevant post graduate degree preferred
- Track record of success in business development, client/relationship management and exercising influence with senior leaders
- Proven record of working collaboratively with multiple stakeholders, including in high-profile, controversial contexts.
- Global perspective on and strong understanding of critical trends in business and human rights
- Demonstration of entrepreneurial instincts, ability to learn rapidly and broadly, capacity to quickly adapt
- Significant business experience including: developing and maintaining senior-level client relationships; pursuing and creating business opportunities; overseeing multiple projects under tight deadlines; developing/ mentoring project teams; achieving and managing an ambitious yearly budget; and developing sector strategy aligned with BSR’s overarching organizational strategy
- Significant experience working with companies and other entities on human rights issues, both “in the field” and with senior teams at headquarters
- Deep knowledge and experience across key human rights content areas
- Knowledge and experience related to business processes such as strategic planning, organizational development, team development, budget management etc.
- Proven leadership and people skills, including a demonstrated ability to mentor the skills and effectiveness of other team members across geographies and cultures.
- Outstanding verbal, written, and facilitation skills.
- Willingness to undertake business travel (~ 33% time).
- Capacity to work and thrive in a growing, fast-paced entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative environment.
- High ethical standards and commitment to BSR core values of Leadership, Respect and Integrity.
BSR is committed to developing an inclusive work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and skill and is valued in support of individual performance and potential, as well as our business goals and mission.
Job title: Director, Human Rights
Location: Paris or New York
Closing date: Rolling application