Human rights impact and compliance assessments
Below are introductory items, tools & guidance on human rights impact & compliance assessments. Further reports from a wide range of sources are in the"Impact assessment" section of our website.
Note: Inclusion of a company impact assessment process in this section does not constitute an official endorsement of that process by the Business & Human Rights Resource Centre.
BP, Tangguh project in West Papua:
- "Human Rights Assessment of the Proposed Tangguh LNG Project Summary of Recommendations and Conclusion - Presented to BP Indonesia" [PDF], 19 April 2002
- Tangguh Independent Advisory Panel - reports on economic, political & social impacts, and BP responses
- Additional material in BP section of our website.
Aim for Human Rights (Dutch NGO): "Guide to Human Rights Impact Assessment Tools" [PDF], Jan 2009
John Ruggie, UN Special Representative on business & human rights: "Human rights impact assessments - resolving key methodological questions” [DOC], Feb 2007
- additional material by or submitted to John Ruggie's team on impact assessment
Human Rights Impact Resource Centre: "HRIA in Business"
Aim for Human Rights:
Eight Step Approach to Human Rights Impact Assessment
Intl. Business Leaders Forum and IFC:
- "Guide to Human Rights Impact Assessment and Management - road testing draft", Jun 2007
Rights & Democracy:
- "Getting it right - A step by step guide to assess the impact of foreign investment projects on human rights" [PDF], Nov 2008
- "Human Rights Impact Assessments for Foreign Investment Projects: Learning from Community in the Philippines, Tibet, the Democatic Republic of Congo, Argentina and Peru" [PDF], May 2007