Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in Sweden
Human Rights First & OWNI Digital Journalism articles on surveillance technology & oppressive regimes
Author: Meg Roggensack and Betsy Walters, Human Rights First, OWNI Digital Journalism; reponses compiled by Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
In November 2011, Human Rights First published a blog entitled "Excuses, excuses: Surveillance Technology and Oppressive Regimes", alleging that companies providing surveillance technology to oppressive regimes in the Middle East contribute to human...
- Related in-depth areas: Human Rights First & OWNI Digital articles on surveillance technology & oppressive regimes Information technology - allegations and responses Latest news on conflict & peace
- Related companies: Amesys (part of Bull) Area Blue Coat Bull Creativity Software Ericsson Hacking Team HP (Hewlett-Packard) NICE Nokia Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN) (joint venture Nokia and Siemens) Qosmos Siemens
Author: Michael Kan, IDG News
The U.S. Department of State said on Wednesday it is investigating Huawei Technologies for allegedly providing censorship and mobile phone tracking technology to Iran, following a request from six U.S. lawmakers. The Department of State "shares the...
Author: Trend News Agency
Huawei Technologies…a Chinese telecom giant, filled the vacuum created in Iran's government-controlled mobile-phone industry when Western companies pulled back…in 2009…Huawei recently signed a contract to install equipment for a system at Iran's...
Author: María Prandi, Juan Andrés Cano y Daniel Arenas, Escola de Cultura de Pau, Instituto de Innovación Social, Universidad de Barcelona [España]
¿Cómo coordinar mejor la colaboración de las empresas en las crisis humanitarias? ¿Cuáles son los retos y los dilemas para las empresas, los Gobiernos, las ONG y las organizaciones internacionales? ¿Dónde deben establecer las empresas los límites entre...
- Related in-depth areas: Últimas noticias sobre conflicto y paz
- Related companies: BBVA Coca-Cola Deutsche Post DHL (part of Deutsche Post) EDP (Energias de Portugal) Ericsson Google (part of Alphabet) HP (Hewlett-Packard) La Caixa Land Rover (part of Tata Group) Lendlease Project Management & Construction (formerly Bovis Lend Lease, trading as Lendlease) Microsoft Nike PWC Logistics Royal Caribbean Cruises Skype (part of Microsoft) Tata Group TNT (part of TPG) TPG UPS Vodafone
Author: Greenpeace East Asia, ChemSec, Business for Social Responsibility's China Training Institute
[T]he “Business Lecture on Hazardous Chemicals Substitution and Elimination” tries to reach out to corporations in China that…want to take efforts to avoid the use and release of the most hazardous and risky chemicals. The event will introduce...
In response to a call from UNHCR [UN High Commissioner for Refugees] to "do 1 thing" to support refugees, Ericsson…is leading an industry initiative to use technology as a force for good in support of the refugee cause…Ericsson, Refugees United and...
Response by Ericsson: Human Rights First says companies providing surveillance technology to oppressive regimes in the Middle East contribute to human rights abuses.
- Related in-depth areas: Human Rights First & OWNI Digital articles on surveillance technology & oppressive regimes
- This is a response from the following companies: Ericsson
Author: Norwegian Government Pension Fund
Walt Disney, Ericsson and Hennes & Mauritz [H&M] were among 9 out of 527 companies to get top marks for managing and reporting on the risks of child labour use and children’s rights violations in their operations and supply chains...Intel,...
- Related stories: ILO report released on the World Day Against Child Labour calls for urgent action against hazardous forms of child labour
- Related in-depth areas: Case examples Latest news on Children
- Related companies: Anglo American Ericsson Gildan Activewear Hennes & Mauritz (see H&M) Intel Motorola Motorola Mobility (part of Google) Motorola Solutions Norges Bank Investment Management (NBIM) Phillips-Van Heusen Walt Disney Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata)
Author: Sam Hananel, Associated Press
Commissioners at an EEOC hearing last week said they are investigating whether excluding the unemployed [from consideration for vacant positions] may have a greater effect on blacks, Latinos and other ethnic minorities that tend to have higher jobless...