European Policy Manager at Access Now
About Access Now
Access Now (accessnow.org) is a growing organisation dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world. Our mission has us engage with issues of privacy, digital security, freedom of expression, transparency, and combating network discrimination. Our policy, advocacy, and technology teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa, North America, and South/Southeast Asia, in order to globally advance our mission. The Brussels office has been active for over four years, focusing on a broad range of issues at the EU- level, and has become a leading civil society voice on digital rights in Europe.
About the Position
We’re looking for a European Policy Manager to head Access Now’s EU work in our Brussels office, in its mission to develop and provide tech-driven policy guidance to governments, legislators, corporations, and civil society with a view to defend and extend the digital rights of users at risk around the world. The Access Now Brussels office has been at the forefront of the top technology policy issues facing Europe – ranging from privacy and data protection to net neutrality and trade, among others. The European Policy Manager will be responsible for not only advancing our mission in the exciting digital rights issues we are engaged in – but also in helping strategise and head our efforts to further grow our European presence and support for partners across 2016.
They will advance the work of our stellar Brussels policy staff, in addition to working closely with our Operations Manager in supporting the needs of our Brussels office and European operations. They will work closely with the Policy Director, Executive Director and other Access staff focused on realising how to achieve meaningful protections for the free and open internet at the EU-level and secure the digital rights of users at risk.
- Design, coordinate, and execute various Access Now policy initiatives in Brussels, European capitals and internationally;
- Lead our European strategy, including the development and execution of the EU components of Access Now’s strategic plan, coordinate our Brussels legislative priorities, and lead our EU policy operational plan;
- Strategise and manage the work of our Brussels policy staff in researching and writing policy briefs, reports, blog posts, position papers, briefing memos, comments to governmental consultations, and other pertinent policy documents on our issues;
- Coordinate the work of our Brussels office in convening discussions with various stakeholders, including partner organisations, the press, and policy-makers;
- Support our Advocacy Team and their programmatic efforts in the EU;
- Represent Access Now at high level events, meetings, gatherings in Brussels and before other European institutions, and at any other fora as asked of you by the Policy Director;
- Identify opportunities for, develop and manage relationships with partners, policymakers and stakeholders and build coalitions and alliances;
- Develop best practice international standards and policy guidance to EU institutions on issues such as privacy, data protection, network neutrality and other human rights protections within the digital sphere;
- Work with our Operations Manager on supporting Access Now’s European operations and administration;
- Advise our Policy Director, Executive Director and Senior Management Team on European issues and strategy.
- Degree in law, European law, computer science, political science, international relations, or a similar field;
- Solid understanding and interest in human rights, EU policy, technology, and public organising with a deeper knowledge in at least one of these areas;
- Able to bridge the gap between policy and technology (technical background a plus);
- 5+ years of relevant work and management experience. Preference for previous work in the areas of internet freedom, internet governance, human rights, legal education, political communication, internet engineering, and/or new technologies, with increasing levels of responsibility;
- Excellent communication and management skills, and proven ability to manage teams and projects in the public policy, political, or public affairs spheres;
- Global perspective and ability to participate in a team with people from around the world;
- Experience working in a grassroots organisation with member activists’ is a plus;
- Ability to organise and facilitate events, workshops, and small meetings;
- Fluency in English is required, and knowledge of French strongly preferred; an additional EU language is a plus.
We accept applications on a rolling basis, however, we intend to fill the position early in the second quarter of 2016.
To apply, send a copy of your CV, a cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications for the position, and two references (only one may be academic) to [email protected]. Please place “EU Policy Manager – [Your Name]” as the subject line. In your cover letter please include the following points: Salary requirements / salary expectations, your experience as it directly relates to the requirements listed, and why you want to work for Access Now!
Job title: European Policy Manager
Closing date: Rolling application