Webinar: Corporate courts - communities fight back
Date & time: Saturday 18 September, 17:30-18:30pm BST
This Global Justice webinar will hear from communities around the world fighting corporate courts and their threat to the climate. We’ll be joined by speakers from Bolivia, Argentina and Italy.
- Aldo Orellana López, Bolivian activist and journalist
- Maria Rita D’Orsogno, Italian activist
- Nicolás Perrone, Argentinian academic and author
The speakers will discuss:
- A new corporate court case being brought by London-listed mining companies over the expansion of the biggest open pit coal mine in Latin America in northern Colombia
- The popular mobilisation against the oil drilling project at the heart of the Rockhopper corporate court case brought under the controversial Energy Charter Treaty.
- The origins of corporate courts as a corporate reaction to the anti-colonial struggles of the twentieth century
The webinar will be chaired by Leah Sullivan from War on Want, with whom we are organising the event, and we’ll also hear from Nick Dearden, director of Global Justice Now.