Fair Labor Association
- Location: Shanghai, China
- Rolling application
About the FLA
The Fair Labor Association (FLA) combines the efforts of industry, civil society organizations, and colleges and universities to improve workers’ lives worldwide by promoting adherence to international labor standards. The FLA is headquartered in Washington, D.C., and has offices in Geneva, Switzerland and Shanghai, China. For more information see www.fairlabor.org.
The incumbent of this position is a member of the FLA field team in China, and reports to the FLA Regional Manager, East Asia based in Shanghai. The incumbent assists the FLA field team in conducting assessments under FLA’s Social Compliance Initiative (SCI) methodology, in evaluating companies’ compliance programs through observations of internal audits and trainings as well as assessments at companies’ field offices and headquarters, and performs other related tasks.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Conducts on-site SCI assessments and completes the related assessment reports.
• Works with external stakeholders such as companies/factories’ management, workers and unions, civil society representatives and other multi-stakeholders before, during and or after such assessments.
• Actively contributes to the refinement and development of the FLA Sustainable Compliance Initiative tools, policies and protocols.
• Observes affiliated companies’ internal assessments, trainings or other related activities, conducts assessments at companies’ headquarters and field offices, and submits related feedback and reports in line with FLA standards and protocols.
• Contributes to desktop verification of affiliate efforts as needed, for example through company self-assessments.
• Contributes to comprehensive written reports to affiliates, including Field Observations Reports and Accreditation Reports.
• Monitors and documents local and regional labor laws and regulations for updates and developments.
• Identifies and analyses local and regional employment and labor market trends in China. Translates, as required, relevant documents, official correspondence, news releases, an other public information materials.
• Assists the team with data analysis and also in other activities such as agriculture assessments, trainings, special projects and investigations, etc.
• Field assessor may also need to attend external activities such as workshops, seminars and represent the FLA as required.
• The position requires extensive travel of at least 75%, mostly domestic.
• Undergraduate degree in social sciences or humanities required with knowledge of law, sociology, or related field preferred
• Interest or background in corporate social responsibility, labor rights, or human rights issues strongly preferred
• Factory audit experience required
• At least 2 years of related work experience required
• Basic knowledge of current Chinese labor laws and supply chain management a plus
• Excellent command of Mandarin and English
• Strong knowledge of office computer programs.
• Strong communication skills, both oral and written; proven ability to deal with confidential and sensitive matters; diplomacy; negotiation skills; poise; sound judgment
TO APPLY: Please send cover letter, resume, and salary history to [email protected] Include FLA Field Assessor in the Subject line no later than June 20th 2016. Please include your salary history in your application. Your application will not be considered if you salary history is not submitted. This position is based in the FLA Shanghai office.